Windows Systems Administrator II
As a member of the Lucasfilm IT team, the Windows Systems Administrator II position oversees the installataion, maintenance, upgrade, and support of server hardware, operating systems/software and associated services.
The Windows Systems Administrator II is responsible for developing and maintaining the core services of Lucasfilm and its global divisions by ensuring the smooth and efficient deployment and execution of core services for use by other IT, IS, & Engineering teams and throughout the user base. They will be active in both development projects and service support.
The Windows System Administrator II will implement and maintain hardware, operating system images for VMWare, Windows and Linux infrastructure standards, tools and other systems that enable core IT services across the Company’s locations globally.
As well as drawing on traditional IT techniques, the Windows Systems Administrator II will take advantage of modern DevOps approaches to ensure the availability of IT services that provide the core foundation of essential services for the smooth operation of our multi-site, award winning film production and visual effects companies.
- Act as primary administrator on virtual technology projects, ensuring implementations follow best practices and are in line with project objectives.
- Provide internal support on technologies within IT Operations; serves as escalation point for internal issues such as render, client services and network support, etc.
- Support operational efficiencies of the IT infrastructure to the highest levels, through implementing and maintaining effective service monitoring, maintenance programs, and foundational system design with a global perspective.
- Work closely with other technical groups to ensure that IT standards and technologies are in line with overall technical direction and security posture of Lucasfilm and its companies.
- Maintain documentation and processes around key IT services in the organization.
- Provide excellent customer service support, including clear verbal and written communications.
- Must be available via mobile phone to participate in team on-call rotations during work and non-work hours.
- Participates in the activities of the globally distributed IT team, including: development and support activities, regular status and planning meetings as time zones permit.
- Collaborate closely with IT, PE, IS and R&D teams globally.
- Maintain a working knowledge of industry trends and technical advancements.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or equivalent professional experience.
- 4-6 years of experience as a professional IT administrator, preferably in the visual effects or computer animation industries, building and supporting IT systems in a multi-platform high performance production environment.
- A clear and concise communicator, written and verbal, with the ability to keep end users informed of progress and managers informed of requests.
- An effective listener: able to engage with and understand others to discover what their requirements are.
- An effective team player with a proven ability to resolve problems professionally and systematically.
- An effective time manager: must be able to prioritize a multitude of requests and not be afraid to ask for help if the path isn’t clear.
- Passionate about delivering rigorous follow-through on assigned tasks.
- An agile, flexible and quick thinker: this is an energetic, dynamic environment requiring an ability to adapt to rapidly changing requirements.
- Detailed oriented, highly organized self-starter, able to multi-task without supervision.
- Strong customer service attitude and skills.
Required Technical Skills
- Detailed understanding of VMWare, GCP and AWS virtualization environments running Windows and Linux hosts, including virtual desktop and virtual server implementations.
- Detailed working knowledge of vCenter, vRealize, vSAN, Horizon View products and hyper converged infrastructures.
- Thorough understanding of system performance issues and tuning.
- Strong understanding of IT security concepts, procedures and implementations.
- Proven experience designing, building, automating and supporting large-scale technical infrastructures in a multi-site, multi-platform environment.
- Detailed understanding in the following technology products: VMWare, Amazon Cloud, Google G-Suite, Google Cloud, Cloud Identity Providers.
- Strong knowledge of common Linux distributions and Microsoft operating systems.
- Excellent and thorough documentation skills.
- Experience creating distributed, scalable systems that are fault tolerant and reliable.
Preferred Skills / Competencies
- Knowledge of ITIL framework concepts.
- Understanding of different project management methodologies.
- Understanding of storage clusters, fiber channel, NAS, and cloud storage technologies.
- Understanding of IP networking.
- Understanding of deployment management products such as cfengine, ansible, chef, & puppet
- Experience with containerization systems such as Docker a plus.
- Familiarity with the configuration and deployment of cluster management systems such as Mesos or Kubernetes a plus.
- OS deployment techniques such as PXE and kickstart.