ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Model Supervisor to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Model Supervisor is responsible for the oversight and supervision of both the modeling and texturing departments of ILM Sydney. They will oversee asset creation work as well as help manage and develop the careers of the Digital Model Shop (DMS) crew.
- Responsible across multiple shows in various stages of delivery, the Modeling Supervisor will work with a variety of external and internal supervisors and producers to ensure the timely delivery of high quality painted models
- Providing both technical and aesthetic supervision to the DMS crew will require occasional hands-on work to ensure continued competency in current and future tool sets.
- Determines the technical approach and provides the technical/creative leadership needed to achieve the desired computer graphics models on the show being supervised.
- Assists the individual project's Visual FX Supervisor, Animation Supervisor & Art Director in determining the design and "look" of an object or creature.
- Works with the Visual Effects Producer in estimating project schedules in terms of personnel and equipment resources required; tracks and makes adjustments to schedules as necessary.
- Responsible for the building and texturing of complex computer graphics models that are successfully integrated into the production pipeline.
- Supervises the work of other modelers and ViewPainters across multiple productions
- Work closely with Envelopes, Viewpainters, Animators, and TD’s to ensure that models meet the requirements for each of these disciplines.
- Works to develop new and more efficient techniques for model construction and painting. Shares new techniques with other productions.
- Evaluates new modeling and painting software. Participates in development of new modeling and painting tools from Software Department.
- Establishes and directs the development of production conventions as they relate to computer graphic models and paint.
- Creates or supervises the creation of relevant training materials for the modeling and paint disciplines
- Responsible for reviewing the work of each modeler/painter after project completion
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in Computer Graphics, Industrial Design, Fine Arts or equivalents having gained a strong sense of perspective and proportion as it relates to anatomy, character design, building environments, design, surface development, proportion, and mechanical functionality.
- 8+ years work experience required in 3D CG for digital animation or visual effects film.
- A reel demonstrating CG modeling experience including wireframes and traditional art work, together with drawings, paintings, photography, etc. Work should include shot breakdown.
Required Skills / Competencies:
- Demonstrated team leadership experience preferred.
- Strong communication (written and verbal), interpersonal and organizational skills required.
- Ability to learn quickly and assimilate new information.
- Attention to detail required.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse collection of individuals.
Required Technical Skills:
- Proficiency in hard surface, organic and procedural modeling is required.
- Proficiency with LINUX/UNIX is desirable.
- Expertise with Maya is required.
- Demonstrated artistic ability.