ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Generalist to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
Generalists create photo-real environments and landscapes and exhibit a strong foundation in photo-realistic, traditional, and digital art skills with an emphasis on landscapes. They work with live action footage, digital still photography, rendered computer graphic elements, and digital paint to create environments that are seamlessly integrated into assigned shotwork.
Successful candidates can model, texture, shade, light, look development and composite CG images or shots, however candidates will be considered if they demonstrate themselves to be exceptional in only one area, as long as they have some experience in all others and are willing to learn.
- Uses artistic and technical skills to work on all aspects of CG images or shots
- Creates high quality computer graphics within a shot using a variety of software programs, and working under the general supervision of Senior Level Artists and Generalists
- Participates as a team member in determining various aesthetic solutions; provides feedback to other members of the production by attending dailies on a regular basis
- Expected to mentor Apprentice and Jr. Artists and must be able to assist them with their shots
- Work to meet defined milestones within a timeline
- Source suitable reference materials for required assets
- Attend dailies and participate in creative problem solving
- Responsible for creating original 2D and 3D content that may comprise part or all of an environment
- Create multiple types of mattes from simple to moderately difficult and allocates detail based on the shot and feedback
- Creates maps in 2D and sets up basic shaders for look development
- Creates basic lighting setups in complex shaders that look convincing and render efficiently
Required Skills / Technical Competencies:
- Proven ability in one or more CG techniques, including modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, look development, or compositing OR Proven artistic ability in a non-CG field (impressive portfolio of figure drawing, landscape, animals, painting, composition, perspective, etc.)
- High level of problem-solving or creative thinking skills
- Fluent in Photoshop
- Fluent in 3dsmax, Maya or similar
- Fluent in Vray or MRay or similar ray trace renderer
- Comparable software experience considered
Education / Experience:
- Degree or 3-5 years relevant experience (professional OR amateur) in one or more of the following fields: Computer Graphics, Fine Arts, Design or Photography
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.