The Art Director is responsible for interpreting ideas communicated by the Director/Key Creative of a show(s) into concept art for Feature Film and Television work.
- Responsible for creating or providing concept art, photo reference, and video reference to communicate ideas and develop goals for the design and look of a show(s)
- Provides conceptual paintovers and look direction for sequences and key shots for directorial approval. Art work is then used as a template for CG artists to complete work
- Provides creative direction and feedback to a team of concept artists, supervising the creation of artwork and materials; leads team to stay on schedule
- Oversees the creation of CG assets from Concept art, ensuring design continuity through the production process
- Responsible for interacting directly with clients, including Directors and Production Designers during production periods and at spec and bid work phases; ensures first unit production design and aesthetic is carried through post production and refined according to the director’s vision
- Partners with CG leadership, ensuring work is done according to the specifications of Director/Key Creatives
- Tracks and archives all work including project files, renders, source images, and textures
- Partners with production on bids and scheduling, proactively raising concerns and offering solutions when necessary
- Actively participates in dailies and transmissions
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and/or proven industry related experience.
- Experience in Film or Video Effects and/or Film production, including knowledge of cinematic techniques, language and shot composition
- Full portfolio demonstrating high-level art skills and breadth of subject matter.
Required Skills / Competencies
- Developed “eye” and strong aesthetic
- Clear understanding of anatomy and motion of organic and mechanical forms.
- Demonstrated understanding and creation of a variety of styles and techniques.
- Experience creating environments, hard surface, and creature design
- Ability to work closely with CG leadership and within a production environment
- Ability to support different productions with various design needs
- Ability to work under pressure while implementing changes based on input from multiple sources
- Excellent organizational skills.
Required Technical Skills
- Proficiency in design software required (Photoshop, ZBrush Sketch-up, Modo, etc.)
- Ability to assemble research and reference material that will be influential to clients and design team