Technical Support Specialist
The ILM Technical Support Specialist will provide day to day technical support for our Virtual Art Department team(s). This role will provide direct onsite support for technology used by our Virtual Art Department teams, including artist workstations and peripherals, associated IT and A/V infrastructure, and VR hardware. This role will also provide proactive maintenance as well as handle break/fix and other technical issues that arise.
Partnering closely with the ILM Client Services Team, you will contribute to ensuring the Virtual Art Department team(s) operate efficiently with as little downtime as possible. You will demonstrate the ability to work closely with IT and engineering teams in LA and SF, including coordinating & making repairs with vendors and internal teams, as well as providing recommendations to improve uptime and artist efficiency.
What you’ll do
- Build, deploy and maintain computer systems and associated IT infrastructure.
- Maintain accurate inventory of all hardware components including keyboards, mice, VR headsets, tablets, monitors, workstations, and other IT components.
- Communicate effectively with both IT and client teams to ensure technology is operating efficiently.
- Monitor the health of the infrastructure, and engage teams and vendors as needed to ensure problems are resolved quickly.
- Address break / fix requests and demonstrate ownership of the problem until resolved.
- Develop operational best practices with other teams, such as proactive system maintenance and scheduled downtimes.
- Along with the various ILM IT teams, contribute to the testing and validation of newly deployed or released hardware and software solutions.
- Perform occasional site visits to other ILM locations or Clients as needed to assist in deployment, pullback or maintenance of customized technology solutions.
- Act as point of contact for all aspects of technical operations at the studio, providing onsite assistance as needed to various ILM IT team members.
What we’re looking for
- 2-4 years of desktop support experience in a fast-paced, high pressure, film / TV production environment is required.
- Proven track record in film production / post production facilities, including examples of solving problems on the fly.
- Friendly, approachable and a “can do” attitude.
- Rapid response to technical challenges - must be able to “think and act quickly” to resolve new technology needs for production.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to self-prioritize tasks based on production needs.
- Ability to be flexible and adjust schedules based on production timelines.
- Exceptional level of communication - listening, comprehension and ability to demonstrate to the ILM teams that you can solve their problem.
- Energetic self-starter with ability to follow a task through to completion.
- Awareness of own capabilities and when to escalate for assistance/information/approvals.
- Proactive approach to supporting technology; ability to anticipate and prevent problems and not just fix them.
- Demonstrated ability to perform typical network troubleshooting and debug performance issues.
- Strong Windows 10 operating system administration skills.
- Experience with VR applications (Unreal) and VR hardware a plus.
- Experience with VFX tools such as Maya, Photoshop, ZBrush, Substance Designer/Painter.
- Solid comprehension of complex pipelines and distributed computer platforms.
- Familiarity with macOS and Linux operating systems (CentOS primarily) a plus.
- Experience supporting A/V equipment in a production environment a plus.
- Remote management and scripting experience helpful.
- Good level of knowledge of networking principles and equipment (Switches, routers, cabling, VLANs etc).
- Good sense of rendering, game engine technology, real time rendering desired.
- Nice to have:
- Detailed, methodical approach to troubleshooting and resolving issues.
- Ability to manage time effectively, and triage and prioritize based on production needs.
- Able to lift 50lbs on a regular basis.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.