Senior Hard Surface Modeler (Feature Animation & VFX)
The Senior Hard Surface Modeler places an emphasis on proportion, form, detail, and functionality, the hard surface modeler creates three dimensional objects to be painted, animated and used in a production. Examples include vehicles and props.
What You’ll Do
- Creates three-dimensional hard surface models like mechanical objects, environments, and props for the Animator, Painter, and Technical Director. Employs specific software tools to build the geometric structure of the object and ensures that the model will satisfy the requirements of the production.
- In building an object, the modeler must incorporate technical expertise, artistic ability, an understanding of mechanisms, and a basic understanding of animation.
- Works with production team (Modelers, Technical Directors, Painters and Animators) to determine the “look” for an object.
- Builds the geometry of computer graphic models, with an understanding of how the geometry will be used in the production process.
- Performs other tasks related to the creation of computer-generated animation.
What We’re Looking For
- At least five years of relevant VFX/professional experience and at least a college level diploma or higher in Computer Graphics, Fine Arts, Architectural, or Industrial Design or at least seven years of relevant VFX/professional experience in lieu of education.
- A strong sense of surface development, proportion, and mechanical functionality. Traditional model building a plus.
- At least 5 years’ polygon/sub modeling experience.
- Knowledge of Linux is a necessity to navigate through ILM’s production pipeline.
- Proven experience creating inorganic objects in a feature film or production environment
- Requires familiarity with film and video post-production techniques and with computer graphic techniques
- Knowledge of 3D programs such as Maya, Modo, Mudbox, or Zbrush.
- Texture painting and UV layout experience desirable
- Sketching, drawing, painting and design skills desirable
- Experimentation with animation or advanced rendering a plus
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.