Character Facial Modeler
With an emphasis on anatomy and form, the Facial Modeler will create three-dimensional CG characters to be painted, enveloped, and animated by the creature development team.
They will also create shape libraries for performance capture based on FACS action units.
What You'll Do
- Create three-dimensional creatures for use in visual effects.
- Employ specific software tools to design and build the geometric structure of the object and ensures that the model will satisfy the requirements of the production
- In building creatures, the Modeler must incorporate technical expertise, artistic ability, and a basic knowledge of rigging and animation
- Create face shape sets from capture data and publish them to inhouse face rigs
- Work within the asset team, alongside Texture Artists and Lead Modeler to determine the “look” for an object
- Build the topology of computer graphic models, with an understanding of how the geometry will be used in the production process
- Perform other tasks related to the creation of computer-generated characters and creatures, including blend shapes, clothing, and shot sculpting
What We're Looking For
- Bachelor’s degree in Fine Arts or equivalent with a thorough understanding of anatomy, character design, and animation
- Portfolio demonstrating traditional artistic skills including illustration, and sculptural abilities a plus
- Proven experience creating digital creatures or characters in a feature film or production environment
- Proven experience in creating refined FACS shapes
- Anatomical knowledge of the face
- Requires familiarity with film and video post production techniques and with computer graphic techniques
- A demonstrated desire to develop computer skills
- Proven Zbrush, Maya, and facial development experience
- Knowledge of UNIX is a necessity as to navigate through ILM’s production pipeline
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.