ILMxLAB Real-Time VFX Artist
VFX Artists bring our worlds and characters to life with realistic visual effects that are optimized for real-time performance. We are looking for a Real-Time VFX Artist who is passionate about bringing wizardry to our world-class, interactive experiences, and who reflects the innovative spirit and immersive storytelling that defines ILMxLAB.
What You'll Do
- Collaborate with the dev team to advance the state of real-time rendered immersive experiences, striving for highest possible visual representation of VFX while staying performant in the game engine
- Create and implement dynamic and compelling real-time effects animations, simulations, particle systems and shaders that meet all aesthetic, design and technical requirements for the project
- Ensure that VFX design and implementation meets run-time and performance budgeting requirements
- Preview work in-engine & through the VR headset. Iterate, optimize, and polish to quality and visual direction set by the creative leads.
- Strive to continually raise the bar for quality, efficiency and adaptability
- Keep up with industry trends and new real-time tools/workflows; contribute to improving and advancing workflows and inspire others through sharing knowledge
- Collaborate in development of breakdowns, task lists, estimates, schedules, milestones and overall project goals as necessary; participate in project stand-ups, meetings, and reviews
- Develop creative solutions to complex production issues and technical challenges, prioritizing and resolving bugs and clearing obstacles
- Actively participate in concept testing of new ideas and building of rapid prototypes
What We're Looking For
- 3+ years experience in games, film, television, AR/VR or related fields
- Proficiency in real-time and interactive production workflows, tools, particle systems, lighting, texture painting, texture/UV animation, UV layout, engine parameters/optimizations, material setup, and procedural animation
- Experience using Unreal Engine (or equivalent), Photoshop and Maya to create real-time VFX
- Able to paint VFX textures from scratch and match an established style
- Experience creating and using real-time shaders
- Experience with modeling & physics for realistic hair and cloth
- Strong artistic & technical problem-solving skills, able to adapt and learn new processes and technical skills
- Comfortable ‘wearing a few different hats’ in a dynamic, small-to-medium sized team environment
- Nice to have:
- Basic understanding of game scripting
- Professional experience with dynamics and simulations packages: Houdini, Real Flow, FumeFX, etc.
- Experience or interest in the creation of VR & AR experiences
- Passion for playing and making games
- VFX production / pipeline experience
*A portfolio / reel submission - including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section - is required with all applications*
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.