ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s four studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Facilities Manager to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
Responsible for the overall smooth running of ILM Sydney building/s and facilities, the Facilities Manager will be involved in proactively managing studio expansion projects, optimizing the use of the studio space, day to day building and facilities maintenance issues as they arise, including managing facilities contractors and suppliers, and managing stock of supplies. Ensures the building functions as efficiently and effectively as possible.
The role will also be responsible for building and maintaining strong and effective working relationships between ILM Sydney and Disney’s property and facilities departments.
- Responsible for studio expansion projects including strategizing and planning new space and current space optimization. Manages studio moves including coordination with vendors, technology and production. Ensures smooth communication to all appropriate parties.
- Responsible for facilities budget including tracking costs and expenditure reconciliation. Partners with Finance team to forecast facilities related expenditures.
- With knowledge of work coming into the Sydney studio, investigate availability and suitability of options for new premises, calculating and comparing costs and making recommendations to the Operations team.
- Project manage and coordinate work of contractors, ensuring work carried out is completed satisfactorily, following up on any deficiencies. Maintains key vendors lists and relationships with contractors and trades. Obtains and negotiates bids for work by outside vendors.
- Direct and plan essential central services such as reception, meeting rooms, security, maintenance, office furniture and supplies, mail, archiving and storage, cleaning, catering, waste disposal, recycling, and shredding.
- Partners closely with technology to ensure that all space and related equipment are set up properly and in organized and working order.
- Take overall responsibility for the general upkeep and maintenance of the Sydney office and other office space as required, managing and solving day to day issues as they arise. Delegate tasks as appropriate to Facilities Coordinator.
- Manage the day to day activities of the Facilities Coordinator.
- Using available networks, source contractors and suppliers for required goods or services, calculating and comparing costs or services to achieve maximum value for money, and liaising with ILM legal for preparation of contracts.
- Liaising with the relevant departments within both ILM and Disney, ensure the building and all working space complies with health and safety legislation and fire safety regulations through review and inspection and effective record keeping. Keep up to date on changes to legislation, advise the business and implement changes as necessary.
- Liaising with relevant ILM departments, develop/evolve the Sydney studio’s Crisis Management Plan, including business continuity procedures, emergency procedures etc. Administer and review procedures.
- Respond as appropriate for emergencies and urgent issues as they arise.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma or related equivalent work experience
- At least 4 years’ experience managing a facility including building operations, vendor management and negotiations, construction projects, expansion strategy and budgets, tight schedules
- Previous experience managing a team preferred
- Familiarity with architectural drawings and blueprints
Required Skills / Competencies
- Motivated self-starter with excellent organizational and analytical skills
- Strategically minded and adept at managing in a diverse environment
- Adept at building strong relationships and interfacing with people at all levels across the organization
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written
- Demonstrable ability to effect change and drive new practices and procedures
- Proactive approach and solution focused
- Commercially focused with a creative approach to save money where appropriate
- Ability to life 50 lbs.
- Experienced user of MS Office – Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook