Pipeline Technical Director II
The Pipeline TD is responsible for developing and maintaining software tools, providing front-line support to artists, and general troubleshooting of the CG pipeline in a fast-paced, feature film visual effects production environment. The primary focus is ensuring artist efficiency.
- Develop pipeline and asset management tools to meet immediate, show-directed production demands, ensuring facility-wide consistency as directed by show and technical supervisors.
- Help maintain a wide array of existing workflows and scripts.
- Provide front-line production support across a wide range of disciplines, troubleshoot assets and shots, and help artists with general problem-solving. Monitor email requests, package up problems and redirect to appropriate engineering team.
- Test and validate tools and techniques in production. Work closely with engineering teams in testing, and releasing new and modified software systems.
- Act as an on-call resource for show production staff, primarily for complex, urgent problems.
- Collaborate effectively with artists, production supervisors, and technical staff across ILM studios in San Francisco, Vancouver, Singapore, and London.
- When not crewed to shows, serve on software teams working on projects that improve the efficiency of asset setup, caching, and shot-data handoff between artists across the entire pipeline.
- Identify day-to- day priorities in conjunction with show supervisors; act autonomously.
- Work primarily on tools of a high degree of complexity, requiring broad understanding of the larger pipeline.
- Assist junior Pipeline TDs in providing front-line support; resolve complex user errors; guide Pipeline Engineers and R&D with debugging technical issues.
- Develop comprehensive knowledge of software and systems; contribute to evolving standards and conventions used in production.
- Update documentation for the pipeline and tools to reflect any changes that are made.
Education / Experience
- 3-5 years relevant professional experience in visual effects for film, commercials or television and a BA in computer science, or related field; OR, an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
- Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining tools for use in computer graphics.
- Proficiency in Linux
- Advanced Python scripting required
- Experience in one or more of Maya, Nuke, Houdini, Mari, Katana, RenderMan or similar
- Ability to communicate cross-discipline and provide innovative solutions to pipeline issues.
- Detail oriented and strong self-sufficient trouble shooter.
- Thorough understanding of the entire visual effects process, from shooting to modeling and texturing, animation, rendering and compositing
Preferred Skills / Technical Competencies
- Experience with production database systems
- Experience with C, C++
- Experience with Windows development and applications such as 3ds max a plus.