Lighting Technical Director
Lighting Technical Directors are responsible for producing high-quality CG lighting and rendering for complex shots for high-end photo-realistic visual effects.
- Scrutinise the colours and directions of all light sources in the real-world scene and replicate them in CG.
- Design and create the lighting and the look of computer generated objects and scenes.
- Responsible for the final CG scene assembly, lighting and rendering of very complex shots.
- Works closely with Lighting Supervisors and CG Supervisors to determine the best approach to solving CG challenges and developing the final look.
- Creates lighting set ups and/or works within current set ups.
- Creates efficient rendering set ups in order to optimise render farm usage.
- Stays on schedule and meets set deadlines while maintaining the highest level of work quality.
- Ensures there is ongoing communication with Production and Leads regarding schedules and deadlines.
- Helps mentor Junior Artists within the Lighting/Look Dev team
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Graphics or equivalent or previous professional experience in a related field.
- Experience of real-world lighting and photography.
- Demonstrable advanced Lighting and Rendering experience within a VFX environment.
- Previous experience performing shot Look Dev tasks
Required Skills / Competencies
- Exhibits excellent listening and communication skills, able to receive direction and criticism.
- Demonstrates an excellent aesthetic eye, anticipates potential problems and uses knowledge of how to use the tools to achieve the desired look.
- Demonstrates the ability to help and teach more junior-level artists.
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritise tasks and provide Production / Lead with accurate time estimates on task completion.
- Demonstrates excellent presentation/communication skills in dailies/shot review by clearly and briefly outlining what has been accomplished and what should be addressed next in a shot.
- Demonstrates the ability to work within a team environment with minimal supervision to complete a shot.
- Can write plug-ins, set-up sequences, debug simulations and write set up and Renderman surface shaders with proficiency.
- Solid compositing ability, can wrangle blue-screen extractions, working knowledge of Nuke.
- Demonstrates the ability to work with minimal supervision to complete a shot.
- A thorough understanding of the VFX pipeline from modelling through animation, texturing, rendering and compositing.
- Ability to pick-up new techniques and the ability to learn new software quickly and easily
Required Technical Skills
- Knowledge of Katana is essential, Maya an advantage and Zeno beneficial.
- Knowledge of Python and/or MEL scripting is essential.
- Shader writing ability is essential.
- A good knowledge of Nuke or similar compositing package, including how to use layers and passes to tweak a shot after it has been rendered.
- A strong understanding of Linux based operating systems.
- Basic knowledge of physically plausible shading techniques.
- A strong knowledge of lighting techniques and a good understanding of colour-space.
- Excellent pipeline scripting ability.
- Excellent knowledge of Renderman and other unbiased rendering systems.
- Good knowledge of other disciplines within VFX including simulation, modelling and UV mapping, texturing and camera tracking
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.