Senior Generalist - Expression of Interest
This posting is an opportunity to submit your resume for future consideration; this is not a role that is open at this time. We anticipate this role may be open in the future, but we are not actively hiring for the position. If you would like to be considered for this potential role, please submit your resume. If the role becomes available, you may receive an email or call from a recruiter.
Senior Generalists create photo-real environments and landscapes and exhibit a strong foundation in photo-realistic, traditional, and digital art skills with an emphasis on landscapes. They work with live action footage, digital still photography, rendered computer graphic elements, and digital paint to create environments that are seamlessly integrated into assigned shotwork.
- Develops solutions and techniques that meet art/technical direction. Participates in team reviews of work under development.
- Able to create multiple types of mattes from simple to moderately difficult.
- Can work confidently enough to be able to decide where to allocate detail based on the shot and can interpret feedback to respond to review notes with little supervisor direction.
- Texture skills would match this competence level, i.e. able to create maps in 2D and set up basic shaders for look development.
- Good understanding of the physics of light, how this interacts with the camera and how to create basic lighting setups in complex shaders (like hard surface type materials) that look convincing and render efficiently.
- Can respond to feedback to dial in the look of the element before handing to final comp.
- Has a good working knowledge of specialist tools and plugins like Multiscatter, Speedtree, etc.
- Can work with the sequence lead to test out tools and techniques before rolling out to shot artists.
- Can handle reasonably complex hard body and soft body sims and light/render them for comp.
- Create original 2D and 3D content that may comprise part or all of an environment
- Creates multiple types of mattes from simple to moderately difficult and allocates detail based on the shot and feedback
- Creates high quality computer graphics within a shot using a variety of software programs, and working under the general supervision of senior level artists and Generalist Supervisors, dials in the look of the element before handing to final comp
- Participates in team reviews of work under development
- Mentors Apprentice and Jr. Artists and must be able to assist them with their shots
- Meets defined milestones within a timeline by attending dailies and participating in creative problem solving
- Creates maps in 2D and sets up basic shaders for look development
- Creates basic lighting setups in complex shaders that look convincing and render efficiently
- Sources suitable reference materials for required assets
- Special projects as needed
Education / Experience
- At least five years of relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma or higher in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR at least seven years of relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
- Proven ability in one or more CG techniques, including modeling, texturing, shading,lighting, look development, or compositing; OR,
- Proven artistic ability in a non‐CG field (impressive portfolio of figure drawing, landscape,animals, painting, composition, perspective, etc.)
- Demo reel required
- High level of problem solving or creative thinking skills
- Must have extensive knowledge of Matte Painting techniques
- Fluent in Photoshop
- Fluent in 3dsmax, Maya or similar
- Fluent in Vray or MRay or similar ray trace renderer
- Comparable software experience considered
- Demonstrated ability to quickly pick up new software
- Strong knowledge and ability in perspective, value matching 35mm photography, physics of light and motion
- Understanding 2D compositing software
- Good working knowledge of specialist tools and plugins like Multiscatter, Speedtree, etc.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.