Digital Paint Supervisor
The Digital Paint Supervisor manages a team of Digital Paint Artist that restore background plates and create digital articulate mattes.
- Works with Production to schedule work, and ensure that all targets are met.
- Actively coaches, mentors and develops artists at all levels within the Roto/Paint Team.
- Assigns work based on an evaluation of the team members skillsets.
- Works with Compositing Supervisor to determine best course of action for complex shot issues.
- Works with Production to determine which shots are suitable to send to Third Party Partners in different time zones, and gives direction to those partners on how to approach Roto/Paint tasks.
- Has demonstrated an excellent artistic eye, a strong eye for color and grain structures with the ability to match saturation, hues and black points from multiple sources to create a cohesive final montage.
- Hits given notes, but is proactive in offering suggestions and alternate approaches and giving artistic feedback to other Roto/Paint Artists.
- Able to handle complex shots with heavy motion blur, lots of layers and use a combination of techniques when dealing with tricky wire removals and clean plates.
- Is technically proficient to perform all roto/paint tasks with proprietary and/or off-the-shelf software packages.
- Demonstrates a strong proficiency with 3d/stereoscopic Roto and Paint work and paint on Comp work.
- Ability to use layout and DM cameras in Nuke.
- Ability to create generic scripts and templates to be used by other artists.
- Solid understanding of image pipeline from capture to delivery. Practical use of this knowledge to maintain the highest quality image possible. (i.e. concatenating transforms, color corrections, etc)
- Actively works across departments in shot groups. Provides updates to production and other artists on shot progress.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in Visual Effects or CG related field
- Proven experience in computer graphics, animation or video.
Required Skills / Competencies
- Experience with Silhouette and Nuke.
- Computer proficiency including UNIX operating system; the ability to learn software and adapt scripts.
- Must have an understanding how their work fits into the pipeline and it’s affect on upstream and downstream departments.
- Must have a willingness to learn new tools, a proven ability to be detail-oriented, and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and to work efficiently within a production environment.