ILMxLAB UI Design Artist
From a galaxy far, far away to other globally-beloved universes, ILMxLAB’s body of work spans multiple award-winning experiences in virtual reality, mixed reality, and more. The team is looking for candidates who are interested in creating the next generation of storytelling for the premium immersive entertainment space powered by real-time graphics.
This fusion of high end graphics and immersive storytelling means creating unparalleled real-time worlds that exponentially raise the bar for consumer experiences. We continue to push the boundaries of what’s possible. We are looking for talented and driven technologists, artists and designers to join our collaborative, creative, and highly technical work environment.
We're looking for a User Interface (UI) Design Artist to work with our team to create and maintain high quality assets for our immersive VR/AR experiences. You’ll be responsible for the design, implementation, and optimization of UI assets across our studio. The UI Design Artist will work in collaboration with lead artists and experience designers to create interfaces that are graphically interesting, but also intuitive and player-friendly.
Have a look at the description below. If it sounds like you, send us your stuff!
- Create appealing UI across multiple titles, in development and live, working directly with lead artists and experience designers.
- Develop apply and maintain a consistent art style throughout an entire project interface.
- Create animated prototypes demonstrating UI/UX flow.
- Collaborate with the design and programming departments in the implementation of UI components and the desired flow of the game UX.
- Iterate using feedback from multiple departments to drive and polish features to a high quality state.
- Ideally can animate button presses, screen transitions and UI FX.
- Integrate assets in the games without sacrificing the artistic vision or exceeding technical limits of the target devices.
- Learn game engine capabilities and limitations, enthusiastic to ‘find a way’ to meet challenging artistic visions.
- Troubleshoot/debug/firefight technical issues in live and developing projects.
- Produce particles, shaders and other VFX in the UI space.
- Develop and maintain UI production/workflow/pipeline documentation pertaining to each project.
Education / Experience
- 3+ years’ professional experience in the videogame industry, VR/AR or related fields.
- Degree in computer science or related field strongly preferred.
- Experience in and/or passion for the creation of VR & AR experiences
Required Skills / Competencies
- Extremely strong portfolio of UI visuals examples in multiple styles preferred.
- Exceptional graphic design skills across iconography, layout, typography and color theory with a portfolio that demonstrates this.
- Ability to render visuals to a high quality combined with a strong understanding of UI and UX principles.
- Wireframe and layout prototype expertise.
- A creative, multi-disciplined person who can work with artists, programmers, designers and engineers to both improve workflow and implement new features.
- Awareness of current trends in user interface design across the industry.
- Exceptional communication skills both written and verbal - the need to keep people in the loop is essential.
- Deep familiarity with industry art pipelines, including common problems and solutions for UI asset creation and flow in mobile games.
- Strong graphic design sensibilities & ability to communicate visually
- Knowledge of 3D content creation & pipelines (Maya, SoftImage, Max, etc.)
- Experience with Unreal 4, Unity, or equivalent game engine
- Proficiency in entire Adobe Suite.
- Extremely proficient within the Unreal game asset pipeline.
- Experience with 3D modeling in Max or Maya strongly desired.
- 2D traditional conceptual portfolio strongly desired.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.