Generalists create photo-real environments and landscapes and exhibit a strong foundation in photo-realistic, traditional, and digital art skills with an emphasis on landscapes. They work with live action footage, digital still photography, rendered computer graphic elements, and digital paint to create environments that are seamlessly integrated into assigned shotwork. Lead Generalists lead a team of Generalists to ensure that shots are created according to the designs and visual style of the project.
- Develop solutions and techniques that meet art/technical direction
- Participate in team reviews of work under development
- Are able to create multiple types of mattes from simple to moderately difficult
- Can work confidently enough to be able to decide where to allocate details based on the shot
- Can interpret feedback to respond to review notes with little supervisor direction
- Create original 2D and 3D content that may comprise part or all of an environment.
- Create multiple types of mattes from simple to moderately difficult and allocates detail based on the shot and feedback.
- Creates high quality computer graphics within a shot using a variety of software programs, and working under the general supervision of senior level artists and Generalist Supervisors, dials in the look of the element before handing to final comp.
- Participates in team reviews of work under development.
- Mentors Apprentice and Jr. Artists and must be able to assist them with their shots.
- Meets defined milestones within a timeline by attending dailies and participating in creative problem solving.
- Creates maps in 2D and sets up basic shaders for look development.
- Creates basic lighting setups in complex shaders that look convincing and render efficiently.
- Sources suitable reference materials for required assets.
- Special projects as needed
Education / Experience
- At least 7 years relevant professional experience and a BA in Computer Graphics, Fine Arts, Design or Photography, or related field; OR, at least 10 years of experience in lieu of education.
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
- Proven ability in one or more CG techniques, including modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, look development, or compositing; OR,
- Proven artistic ability in a non-CG field (impressive portfolio of figure drawing, landscape, animals, painting, composition, perspective, etc..)
- Demo reel required
- High level of problem solving or creative thinking skills
- Must have extensive knowledge of Matte Painting techniques
Preferred Skills / Technical Competencies
- Able to create maps in 2D and set up basic shaders for look development.
- Good understanding of the physics of light, how it interacts with the camera, and how to create basic lighting set-ups in complex shaders (like hard surface type materials) that look convincing and render efficiently.
- Able to respond to feedback to dial in the look of the element before handing to final Compositing.
- Can work with the sequence lead to test out tools and techniques before rolling out to shot artists.
- Can handle reasonably complex hard body and soft body sims and light/render them for Compositing.