As part of the Studio Talent Group, this position is responsible for the design, development, and instruction of training courses for new and current employees in all global studios, although predominantly in London and in the area of 3D. This includes designing course outlines, gathering supporting technical documentation and developing course videos and trainer notes.
- Proactively partners with the business to understand the training requirements through regular attendance of Supervisor meetings and partnering with the Talent Managers,
- Working with Supervisors, develops and implements curricula in accordance with those requirements thinking globally and working closely with the other trainers in the other locations.
- Working closely with the Training Coordinator, schedules and sets up training as appropriate.
- Interfaces with ILM artists, software engineers, and production supervisors to determine artist training needs and develop course content.
- Teaches tools for multiple artist disciplines including proprietary software applications.
- Delivers training to ILM studios via live classes, remote training, and recorded videos.
- Customizes new starter training to the needs and goals of each trainee’s assigned production.
- Evaluates and reports on trainees’ progress to Director of Talent Development, and appropriate department managers and production supervisors.
- Creates, evaluates and maintains technical documentation for a global ILM audience.
- Working with the broader team, supports emerging talent and outreach programmes through developing curricula and other supporting documentation, e.g. apprenticeships, graduates, interns, Runners, work experience etc.
- In support of the studios emerging talent strategy, works with organisations partnering with ILM advising on curricula.
- Monitors industry technical advances to stay current with the needs of production and the goals of the organization.
- Proactively keeps abreast and updates the broader team on the latest thinking on training and development methods and techniques and proactively adopts these in the studio.
- Working closely with the Training Coordinator to ensure the global database and calendar are kept up to date of all London training events, particularly for all technical training.
- If needed, can step in and carry out shotwork as required by productions.
Education / Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent degree in Computer Science, computer visualization, or computer animation a plus
Required Skills / Competencies
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Broad knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of computer graphics
- Previous work experience required in CG digital animation and/or visual effects
- Proven ability to create effective training materials for highly technical subject matter
- Ability to train artists in the theory, operation, and application of computer graphics software
- Ability to self-train quickly and efficiently in order to develop course material in correlation with ever-changing production needs
- Highly skilled at fostering relationships across time-zones, providing global partners with an excellent level of service
- Excellent time-management and organization skills
- Team player who enjoys working with local and global teams
Required Technical Skills
- Competent use of G Suite (Gmail, Docs, Drive)
- Knowledge of Linux, shell scripting, Python, and C/C++, desirable
- Experience with industry-standard 2D and 3D software packages (Maya, Katana, Nuke, Houdini, 3dsMax, Photoshop) or proprietary equivalent, desirable