Lead Previs Animator - Expression of Interest
This posting is an opportunity to submit your resume for future consideration; this is not a role that is open at this time. We anticipate this role may be open in the future, but we are not actively hiring for the position. If you would like to be considered for this potential role, please submit your resume. If the role becomes available, you may receive an email or call from a recruiter.
The Lead Previs Animator collaborates closely with the Previs Supervisor and VFX Supervisor to design and create shots and sequences ensuring the Director and Clients vision are met through dynamic camera movement, animation, composition, staging, lighting and editing.
What You’ll Do
- Responsible for the following areas.
- Storyboarding: Development of either hand drawn or Maya based storyboards
- Set Dressing: Preparation of environments for animation and layout
- Animation+Layout: Designing and animating shots over an entire sequence
- Lighting+Rendering: Preparation of low tech, fast render aesthetic solutions
- Tool Dev: Creation of tools to assist the previs team
- Editing: Compiling of sequences + sound design within Adobe Premiere
- Troubleshoot assets and shots, continually looking for and suggesting improvements to increase overall efficiency and productivity
- Maintain or exceed consistent level of productivity while meeting deadlines and producing high quality work
- Comfortable leading a team of artists, some of whom may be working remotely from other ILM locations
- Must have a passion for camera animation and understand how to design camera motions for real world shoots
- Demonstrate strong character/creature animation abilities and switch between quality levels of anim from rough blocking to higher polish if and when necessary
- Able to contribute or interested in developing generalist skills to elevate the aesthetic of the previs, including basic modeling, lighting, rigging, fx, etc.
- Comfortable communicating and collaborating with other departments across ILM
- Demonstrate flexibility with iterative process
What We’re Looking For
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent degree in Computer Science, computer visualization, or computer animation required
- 7+ years of experience in visual effects and/or feature animation film
- Proficiency with Linux and Maya
- Advanced problem solving skills
- Experience in animation, previs and/or layout
- A reel demonstrating strong creative and technical ability in photo-realistic 3D with a focus on animation, previs or layout; basic competency in modeling, texturing, lighting, camera, layout and rendering
- Strong sense of composition, animation, blocking, camera movement and cinematic terminology
- Nice to have:
- Basic knowledge of Nuke, Mari, Arnold, V-Ray, Zbrush and Photoshop
- Experience in modeling, rigging, texturing and lighting
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.