Effects Technical Director
The Effects TD generates FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems for feature film visual effects. They are responsible for lighting, rendering and moderate-level compositing of complex shots with guidance from their supervisors.
- Designs and creates FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems
- Light complex/multiple elements; communicates status of shots to supervisors and Production
- Provides accurate time estimates for shotwork
- Responsible for handing off elements to other departments i.e. comp and rendering teams
- Presents shot work in dailies; attend dailies and other department meetings
- Mentor junior Effects artists
- Data management of shots including clean up
- Special projects as needed
Education / Experience
- At least three years of relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma or higher in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR at least five years of relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
- Demonstrates an excellent aesthetic eye
- Exhibits strong teamwork and interdisciplinary thinking
- Production pipeline experience
- Strong communication and follow-through
- Ability to work under pressure and deadlines
- Experience with either Maya, 3DS Max, Houdini, or similar software
- Basic understanding of the physics of simulation
Preferred Skills / Technical Competencies
- Linux and scripting ability in Python
- Advanced simulation experience with either Houdini, Maya, 3DS Max or other software, and the ability to write expressions
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.