ILMxLAB Art Director
We are looking for an Real-Time Art Director who reflects the innovative spirit, production excellence, collaborative mindset, and passion for great, story-driven experiences that define ILMxLAB.
Art Directors ensure excellence in the visual quality of ILMxLAB’s immersive experiences through collaborating with, and giving direction to all disciplines across art, design and engineering to translate 2D concept art into 3D real-time art assets of the highest fidelity, while working efficiently with the technical specifications of different platforms. Art Directors report to the studio’s Visual Design Director.
What You’ll Do
- Oversee the creation of CG assets from concept art, ensuring continuity throughout the production process
- Collaborate with the Production Designer to develop a cohesive aesthetic vision for the project, and give input on creation of 2D concept art to facilitate its translation into real-time rendered 3D art assets
- Actively manages and organizes the state of approved and unapproved concept art/reference in order for the team to be very clear on what is final and what is WIP
- Partner with the project’s Technical Art Director to achieve the project’s visual goals through defining the project’s tech art strategy and workflows, and solving for complex real-time rendering challenges
- Documents the goals/intentions for the project, and provides artistic direction to the development team through giving clear verbal feedback and providing conceptual paintovers, look direction and other visual guides through hands-on work in 2D and 3D applications
- Actively shares, explains, and advocates for the desired artistic direction, helping the team navigate technical or performance challenges to get to the best possible result
- Collaborates with Department Supervisors to establish best practices for art disciplines, explore and create new techniques, solve problems, and leverage internal and external talent
- Partner with production management on creating project plans (including task estimation and scheduling) and managing the scope of work, and proactively raises concerns and devises creative solutions to art production challenges
- Team up with art, tech, design and production leadership to help bring alignment across disciplines on plans and priorities, to accomplish project milestones and targets
- Plays the game regularly and provides detailed and prioritized feedback and notes to the team
- Set the cultural tone & reinforce positive behavior on the project team. Foster talent development through inclusive leadership
What We’re Looking For
- 10+ years of experience developing real-time 3d artwork
- Shipped at least 1 AAA game title in an Art Lead or Art Director role.
- Demonstrated experience in artist workflows, tools, and pipelines. Ideally this includes hands-on experience in more than one art field such as VFX, Lighting, Characters, Materials, Environments, etc.
- Ability to lead artists to achieve high quality results by quickly providing clear and meaningful feedback
- Ability to proactively problem solve and explore various options to accomplish project goals and milestones
- Experience with 3D software such as ZBrush, Blender, Maya, Modo to quickly and accurately rough out environment/character layouts and compositions
- Experience with Unreal Engine is a big plus
- Environment and component ideation and design
- Traditional illustration skills in multiple media and excellent drawing skills, matte painting experience
- Fundamental skills including good use of line, light, shadow, and color
- Experience with storyboard creation & cinematic storytelling
- Able to work with specific styles, including a style set by another artist or art director
- Portfolio showing past concept art pieces created for films/games/interactive experiences
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.