Lighting Supervisor (2020 Start)
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking a Lighting Supervisor to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Lighting Supervisor is responsible for leading a team of Lighting TD’s and Leads to create, direct and reflect lighting and shadows that meet the creative direction and vision of the project. This role has shared accountability for the management and deliverables of the Lighting department utilizing research, development, and implementation of new techniques when necessary.
- Quality and artistic supervision of lighting with input from VFX Supervisor
- Designs, implements and critiques generic lighting and compositing to help facilitate the creative "look" of the project
- Determines the need and extent of mattes, paintings, effects and shaders for digitally composited shots.
- Regularly interacts with the Producer and Director to understand the desired look as it relates to lighting for the production.
- Deliver final shots to production and ensure final technical check is complete.
- Tracking lighting continuity within sequences.
- Participates as a Supervising team member in determining various design solutions; efficiency improvements and provides artistic feedback on a shot and sequence level to other team members of the production.
- Coaches and guides the team of Lighting TD’s to execute quality performance for the project.
- Partners with Artist Management to guide artists’ overall professional development, providing performance feedback, mentoring, assist with resolving performance issues and maintaining positive morale amongst the crew.
- Attend all relevant meetings to promote effective communication throughout the production team.
- Actively participates in the recruiting and staffing of the lighting team - assesses the work of prospective candidates for the hiring process.
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
- Extensive management experience of large teams (10+ individuals)
- Ability to plan and execute complex 3D lighting scenes including working with layers and passes, doing complex comps and optimizing scenes and renders
- Must be self sufficient
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written, verbal and interpersonal)
- Highly proficient skills in technical problem solving
- Demonstrable experience of mentoring and developing artists
- Plans well and manages priorities
- Stays agile and flexible
- Thinks analytically and innovatively
- Always curious and seeks new learning opportunities
- Strong working knowledge of Linux, Python and shell scripting required.
- Look development and/or shader writing preferred
- Relevant understanding of color theory, composition, lighting, aesthetics and how these apply to lighting and rendering in 3D
- Strong working knowledge of various software platforms including Katana, Maya, Nuke, or any other high end CG or compositing software.
- Knowledge of Clarice desirable but not essential
- Preferred Skills / Competencies
- Some photography experience a plus (understanding of composition, photography terms like depth of field, FOV, aperture, exposure, dynamic range)
Education / Experience
- 6+ years’ experience as a Lighting Supervisor or role with equivalent level of responsibility in VFX film or on CG animated projects
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Graphics or equivalent work experience
- Experience working across different studios/locations and time zones
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.