ILMxLAB Lighting Artist
We are looking for a talented and driven technologist who reflects the innovative spirit, creative talent, production excellence, collaborative mindset, and passion for great storytelling that defines ILMxLAB.
The Lighting Artist is responsible for bringing the best out of our environments and to combine artistic talent and technical ability. You would be working closely with the Department Supervisor of Lighting and development/production teams on the design and implementation of lighting setups and lighting pipelines.
What You’ll Do
- Work with Art Directors, Lighting Leads and Concept Artwork to design lighting setups for environments, characters and interactive game assets.
- Have a deep understanding of lightmap baking, dynamic lighting tools, image based specular lighting, indirect light probes, post-process volumes and real-time rendering
- Work with environment, character and VFX artists in the lighting design to achieve the desired targets for aesthetics and performance through material shader and geometry work
- Partner with level designers to animate via level blueprint or sequencer dynamic lighting or transitions
- Actively participate in improving workflows, optimizations and best practices
- Identify, triage, and fix bugs as required working with engineering and relevant departments
- Take final project to a high degree of polish and optimization
What We’re Looking For
- 3+ years experience as a Lighting TD/Artist in AAA game development or animation/vfx/film
- Strong aesthetic sense for lighting and color theory
- Strong technical knowledge of current real time lighting tool sets including atmospheric effects, post processing, color grading and HDR IBL workflows
- Able to effectively take direction and know what looks good and why
- Experience with Unreal/Unity or equivalent game engine including dynamic and baked lighting workflows, physically-based rendering, and basic level blueprint scripting
- Shaders: in-depth knowledge of real-time shader implementations, limitations of shaders in VR, strong knowledge of PBR pipelines, and subsurface shaders
- Materials: experienced in the development, authoring & organization of efficient materials via the UE4 material editor
- Fluency in working in Windows, JIRA, Perforce or equivalent OS, workload and data management tools
- Excellent communication, organization and problem-solving skills and self-motivated
- Bonus points for:
- Strong traditional art, photography or film studies background
- Proficient with profiling tools to examine & diagnosis performance issues related to lighting
- Experience with one or more of the following: Maya, Unity, Substance Designer / Painter, Zbrush or Mudbox, Houdini, Mari, 3D StudioMax, Photoshop, Nuke
- Interest and capacity to work with proprietary toolsets
*A portfolio / reel submission - including a detailed breakdown of your work in each section - is required with all applications*
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.