R&D Engineer - Expression of Interest
This posting is an opportunity to submit your resume for future consideration; this is not a role that is open at this time. We anticipate this role may be open in the future, but we are not actively hiring for the position. If you would like to be considered for this potential role, please submit your resume. If the role becomes available, you may receive an email or call from a recruiter.
We are looking for software engineers for our R&D team, to develop state-of-the-art computer graphics tools that help artists create photo-realistic visual effects for major motion pictures.
We’re looking for both junior and senior software engineers in a wide range of specialties, with interests that span the entire visual effects pipeline:
- Modeling, rigging, animation, skinning, physically-based simulation
- Computer vision and data acquisition, facial modeling, performance capture
- Physically-based simulation of natural phenomena, procedural animation of crowds
- Compositing and image processing
- Virtual production, realtime rendering, in-camera visual effects
- Asset management, 3D scene representation and assembly, artist-facing pipeline design
What You’ll Do
- Work in a collaborative, distributed team of full-time software engineers, and work directly with highly specialized and supremely talented artists, in ILM’s studios in San Francisco, Vancouver, London, Singapore, and Sydney
- Develop specialized computer graphics software tools, techniques, and pipeline systems for a wide range of visual effects production applications
- Design artist-friendly user interfaces for authoring and interchanging 3D and 2D data as it moves between artists through the production pipeline
- Extend, optimize, and simplify a sophisticated network of automated batch processes
- Integrate commercial and open-source systems into the ILM production pipeline
- Work with and extend ILM’s proprietary content creation systems
- Split time between long-term software development projects and day-to-day production needs
What We’re Looking For
- BS or advanced degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience in professional software development and VFX production
- An intuitive understanding of the demands of a fast-paced, creatively-driven visual effects production environment
- Readiness to place confidence in others, be trustworthy, and play nice
- An ability to express yourself concisely, a willingness to speak up, and a conviction to keep everyone informed of progress and issues
- An ability to listen intently and interpret artists’ needs
- An insightful and analytical thinker, and a creative problem solver
- Expert knowledge of programming in C++ and/or Python on Linux
- Thorough knowledge of computer graphics and animation concepts: character rigging, geometric deformations, dynamic simulation, shading and rendering, etc; expertise in a particular area is a plus; expertise in machine learning is a plus-plus
- Experience with commercial animation and VFX software applications relevant to the discipline, such as: Maya, Houdini, Katana, Nuke, etc.
- Knowledge of industry-standard open-source software and systems relevant to the discipline, such as: OpenGL/CUDA, USD/Alembic, OpenVDB, OpenCV, OpenImageIO, etc.
- Experience with GUI toolkits: Qt, PySide, etc.
- Thorough knowledge of software design/development principles: design patterns, object-oriented design, agile development, etc.
- Experience working with a large, complex, mature, and dynamic code base
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.