Lighting Technical Director
The Lighting TD designs and implements direct and reflected lighting and shadows for assigned shots that meet art and tone direction. Ensures that assigned shots fit the continuity of the sequence. Develops solutions and techniques that meet art/technical direction. Participates in team review of work under development. Able to navigate and use previous setups for at least a dozen shots, insertion of shot specialization, managing multiple assets and lighting setups. Also able to light using varying shadowing strategies, imitate distributed light sources. Management of volumetric light setups, including shadowing and cucoloris development. Also able to light, material assign and render for actors using CG hair and scattering skin materials.
- Designs and creates lighting and the look of computer generated objects and scenes.
- Creates images, effects, and scripts for digitally composited sequences.
- Responsible for compiling the various elements of a shot and seeing it through to completion.
- Demonstrates good listening and communication skills by openly receiving direction and criticism by asking good questions to confirm clear understanding of the directions and how to approach what needs to be done. Once clear, implements the requested changes immediately and raises flags right away if a solution is not quickly found or if there are any delays, making sure the Supervisors and Production are kept in the loop and are up-to-date on the status of one's shot work.
- Demonstrates solid presentation/communication skills in dailies/shot review by clearly and briefly outlining what has been accomplished and what next should be addressed in the shot.
- Demonstrates solid problem solving skills.
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritize tasks managing time very well, providing everyone with accurate time estimates on shot task completion.
Education / Experience
- At least 3 years relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR, at least 5 years relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
Required Skills / Competencies
- Experience with either Katana, 3DS Max, Maya, Houdini or similar software.
- Linux and scripting ability
- Experience in Python and/or Lua