Lighting Technical Director - Expression of Interest
This posting is an opportunity to submit your resume for future consideration; this is not a role that is open at this time. We anticipate this role may be open in the future, but we are not actively hiring for the position. If you would like to be considered for this potential role, please submit your resume. If the role becomes available, you may receive an email or call from a recruiter.
The Lighting TD designs and implements direct and reflected lighting and shadows for assigned shots that meet art and tone direction. Ensures that assigned shots fit the continuity of the sequence. Develops solutions and techniques that meet art/technical direction. Participates in team review of work under development. Able to navigate and use previous setups for at least a dozen shots, insertion of shot specialization, managing multiple assets and lighting setups. Also able to light using varying shadowing strategies, imitate distributed light sources. Management of volumetric light setups, including shadowing and cucoloris development. Also able to light, material assign and render for actors using CG hair and scattering skin materials.
What You'll Do
- Design and create lighting and the look of computer generated objects and scenes
- Create images, effects, and scripts for digitally composited sequences
- Responsible for compiling the various elements of a shot and seeing it through to completion
- Demonstrate good listening and communication skills by openly receiving direction and criticism by asking good questions to confirm clear understanding of the directions and how to approach what needs to be done. Once clear, implements the requested changes immediately and raises flags right away if a solution is not quickly found or if there are any delays, making sure the Supervisors and Production are kept in the loop and are up-to-date on the status of one's shot work.
- Demonstrate solid presentation/communication skills in dailies/shot review by clearly and briefly outlining what has been accomplished and what next should be addressed in the shot
- Demonstrate solid problem solving skills
- Demonstrate the ability to prioritize tasks managing time very well, providing everyone with accurate time estimates on shot task completion
What We're Looking For
- At least 3 years relevant professional VFX experience and at least a college level diploma in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; OR, at least 5 years relevant professional VFX experience in lieu of education.
- Experience with either Katana, 3DS Max, Maya, Houdini or similar software.
- Linux and scripting ability
- Experience in Python and/or Lua
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Lucasfilm fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world. **FOR U.S. BASED NEW HIRES ONLY:** We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to do what we do best - entertain and inform millions around the world. As part of our commitment to health and safety, COVID-19 vaccines are required for current U.S. salaried and non-union hourly employees, as well as all newly hired U.S. employees.