Effects Technical Director (2020 Start)
ILM opened its Sydney studio in the summer of 2019. The youngest of all of the ILM studios, the Sydney studio leverages the expertise and technological know-how developed over 40 years at Industrial Light & Magic combined with the top artists and technicians in the region. Knowledge and culture flow freely between the company’s five studios and the global team shares tools and workflow allowing for seamless collaboration on all shared projects.
As we grow ILM Sydney, we are seeking an Effects Technical Director to join the team and be a part of this exciting opportunity.
The Effects Technical Director generates FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems for feature film visual effects. They are responsible for lighting, rendering and moderate-level compositing of complex shots with guidance from their supervisors.
- Designs and creates FX animation, procedural simulation, dynamic simulation, particle and fluid systems.
- Light complex/multiple creatures (hairy or furry creatures) and elements.
- Can set-up and wrangle heavy particle effects and enormous crowd shots.
- Can set-up and run extremely complex (hairy or furry creatures).
- Excellent pipeline scripting ability.
- Solid compositing ability, can wrangle blue-screen extractions, working knowledge of Nuke.
- Can write plug-ins, debug simulations and write set up and surface shaders with proficiency.
- Can write/hack procedural surface shaders and volumetric shaders with proficiency.
- Can animate moderate objects with proficiency.
- Can pick-up new techniques quickly and easily and can debug just about anything.
- Sets a standard for all Technical Directors in continually raising the bar for speed, quality of work and adaptability.
Education / Experience
- 3-5+ years production experience or feature film experience with effects simulation work
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering or computer graphics
- Demo reel required
Required Skills / Technical Competencies
- Ability to work with competency, energy and enthusiasm within a team environment with minimal supervision to complete a shot.
- Exhibits excellent listening and communication skills, able to receive direction and criticism
- Excellent presentation/communication skills in dailies/shot review by clearly and briefly outlining what has been accomplished and what next should be addressed in the shot
- Engages in the creative process without ego, and accepts all final decisions with a positive and supportive attitude.
- Demonstrates an excellent aesthetic eye, anticipating potential problems and using knowledge of how to use the tools to achieve the desired look.
- Demonstrates superb problem-solving skills and takes the initiative to offer ideas and suggestions.
- Prioritizes tasks and manages time very well
- Advanced simulation experience with either Houdini, Maya, XSI, 3DS Max or other software, and the ability to write expressions
- C++ skills
Preferred Skills / Competencies
- Linux and scripting ability in Python
- Experience in MEL