Plant Manager, Production Facility
We are a Canadian, family owned, independent food retailer which has grown and prospered since 1956. Our team members are dedicated to exceeding customer expectations by offering the best food experience to every customer, every time. It is through such commitment that Longo’s now operates 36 stores within the GTA along with Grocery Gateway; our online grocery delivery service, is celebrating over 50 years of business and is continuing to grow. Longo’s is recognized as a Platinum Member of Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies.
Are you passionate about food?
Do you have extensive experience as a Plant Manager?
Would you love to pursue a career with a company that is recognized as a Platinum Member of Canada’s 50 Best Managed Companies and is one of Canada’s 10 most admired corporate cultures?
Why not join us?
Position: Plant Manager
Job Overview: The Plant Manager provides strong leadership and direct supervision to the Production Facility leadership team. They work collaboratively with category management to identify and direct the central production of Prepared Foods, and other department items as required in order to provide stores and customers with the best food experience. The Plant Manager will oversee the overall operation, financial performance and planning to ensure the Production Facility operates reliably and safely. The Plant Manager works closely with the Production Facility Manager, Applications & Process Manager, Inventory Control & Supply Chain Manager, Quality Assurance Team, as well as the Product Development Team to ensure production is consistent and compliant with all regulations including Health & Safety, Food Safety, and all products meet quality and production standards as set out by the demands of our store operations and guests. The Plant Manager will identify and develop strategic plans (and business cases) to expand or contract the assortment based on business needs to support the General Merchant and Category Management strategy.
- Hiring, motivating, and developing department managers and by providing regular feedback and completing on-time performance appraisals
- Coaches and trains team members growth and development
- Conducts regular team member meetings to ensure strong communication on company initiatives, goals and objectives.
- Works closely with Inventory Control and Supply Chain Manager to ensure required inventory levels are maintained to ensure freshness while being fiscally responsible.
- Supports and addresses any production and or staffing opportunities that are communicated by the Production Facility Manager and other leaders.
- Manages and oversees preparation of food for store sales ensuring quality and production standards are met and responsible for store communication if supply is disrupted
- Oversees production manager to ensure daily, weekly room production to ensure store orders are met
- Leads the research, development and maintenance of efficient product lines.
- Oversees long range planning and identifying production and food trends.
- Monitors competitors and develops plans to address business opportunities.
- Sources and prepares business case to select equipment to support business needs.
- Supports the Production Facility Manager with forecasting for limited time offer, promotions and seasonal event production.
- Responsible for Production Facility financial performance, shrink, sales and long-term planning.
- Achieves Production Facility financial objectives through optimizing production efficiencies, inventory management and collaborating with category management.
- Prepares capital expenditures in support of business case requests.
- Follows up on all matters related to sanitation, food safety, preventative maintenance and housekeeping. Works closely with third party provider to ensure sanitation, and cleaning standards are being met
- In conjunction with risk management monitors HACCP and other best in class Manufacturing Policies/Procedures for consideration for the production facility.
- Monitoring food regulations/laws, OSHA guidelines and Health department requirements to ensure compliance.
- Ensures positive customer service relations with a variety of internal customers such as: Department Managers, Distribution Centre Manager and Supervisors, head office departments, external vendors and government regulators
- Responds and resolves problems arising in customer orders and/or delivery
- Promotes and endorses Safety Vision “Safety is our way of life”.
- Observes and supports Longo’s Safe Work guidelines and other safe work practices.
- Role models the importance of health and safety by always working safely and calls out and addressed and safety issues.
- Ensures that TMs are trained to safely carry out their work in the department and ensures that all work is safely carried out by Team Members.
Job Knowledge, Skills & Credentials:
- Post Secondary Education - University and/or College Degree, Bachelors Degree in Food Science or Engineering
- 7-10 years relevant food or functional food manufacturing experience
- Strong understanding of equipment, manufacturing process and maintenance and quality standards with the food industry
- Previous experience in a HACCP environment desired
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Excellent organizational, time management and follow-up skills
- Strong coaching and relationship management skills
- Strong project management skills; ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Demonstrated high level of judgment and decision making
- Ability to develop and implement tactical plans
- Proficient in budgeting skills
- General understanding of the grocery and prepared foods industries
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Longo’s is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities throughout the recruitment process and, upon request, will work with qualified job applicants to provide suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account the applicant’s accessibility needs due to disability.
Note: A qualified job applicant with a disability is one who possesses the required skills, education, experience and training and who can, with reasonable accommodation, perform the essential functions of the position applied for.
If you require accommodation, please contact the Human Resources Coordinator at:
Email: [email protected]
Mail: 8800 Huntington Road, Vaughan, ON, L4H 3M6