Head of Business Development
The Head of Business Development will lead and manage a team developing business opportunities and booking contracts within identified key markets domestically and internationally.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to: maximizing bookings growth and deal gross margin, developing and managing partner relationships, and partnering strategically with internal and Boeing stakeholders. The role will also lead and facilitate all aspects of the sales process including leading and coordinating resources from Business Development, Engineering, Operations, and Customer Engagement. The position will report to the Chief Executive Officer. It will also take direction from the head of Autonomous Systems Global Sales and Marketing.
Experience and established relationships with at least some key customer organizations is critical for this role. Whether the candidate’s primary work location is at a Liquid Robotics office, or a home office, there is a requirement for frequent face to face interaction with staff and executives at headquarters in Sunnyvale, California to ensure alignment with company goals and tight coupling between the business development team and other functions.
- Own achievement of the bookings target for the company, driving all aspects of achieving that target.
- Support the revenue, earnings, and cash targets for the company, ensuring the approach to bookings achievement aligns with those targets.
- Hire, retain, coach and lead a team to over achieve bookings targets.
- Establish and manage relationships with large and small partner companies.
- Develop and maintain bookings forecasts and report progress and risk associated with these forecasts to LR executive and Boeing stakeholders.
- Ensure awareness of forecasted deals so that they can be factored into the company’s tactical operations.
- In cooperation with the CEO, oversee and deploy the strategic advisory board.
- Develop and execute account plans and strategies.
- Create, manage, and operate the infrastructure and processes for preparing offers for sale including budgetary guidance, quotations, and proposals.
- Create and deliver customer presentations at the C/Flag/Minister-level.
- Develop and manage processes for cooperation with Program Management, Marketing, Engineering, Finance, Production, Strategy, Marketing and Customer Experience staff.
- Ensure the business development organization oversees and manages customer relationships, establishing Liquid Robotics as a trusted advisor to those customers.
- As a senior member of the leadership team, exercise executive discretion and authority across the company, providing positive leadership that reaches beyond business development and provide input to the company’s evolving business planning activities.
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to analyze the market, collect customer input, and build a strategic business plan.
- Proven past success of running large complex sales campaigns; involving political, business, and technical aspects. Experience with DoD requirements, budgeting, or acquisition is a plus.
- Clear understanding of value propositions and ability to articulate them to decision makers. Understanding of Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) and Return on Investment (ROI) is a plus.
- Demonstrate concrete sales values—including a strong sense of ethics, demonstrated ability to convince decision makers of product/program value, alignment with overall strategy, and leadership experience (e.g. complex decision making, multifaceted projects) to lead the team by example.
- BS/BA Degree required, advanced engineering degree or MBA desired.
- Proven success in identifying & applying advanced technology & capabilities, particularly in the fields of unmanned ocean systems, to meet customer needs.
- Ability to operate efficiently and positively within an occasionally high-stress environment, upholding company values, ethics, and culture throughout.
- Experience with marine/ocean technology is required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including technical proposals and presentations.
- Teamwork attitude, a cooperative style and the ability to provide leadership and mentoring.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced and dynamic growth environment where initiative and flexibility are required for success.
- Self-motivated, pro-active, with confidence and initiative for innovation.
- Must be able to secure and hold a US security clearance.
- U.S. Person or Permanent Residency status Required.
Liquid Robotics designs and manufactures Wave Gliders®, the world’s first wave and solar powered autonomous ocean robots. With partners, they address challenges facing defense, Oil & Gas, commercial and science customers by making ocean data collections and communications easier safer and in real-time. Liquid Robotics was acquired by Boeing in December of 2016 and operates as an independent non-integrated subsidiary.
For more info, please visit www.liquid-robotics.com
Liquid Robotics is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
As a U.S. government contractor, Liquid Robotics will require all new hires and employees located in the United States to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by December 8, 2021. Individuals who are unable to be fully vaccinated due to a disability/medical condition or sincerely held religious belief may apply for a reasonable accommodation during the post-offer process. Individuals who are approved for a reasonable accommodation will be subject to frequent COVID-19 testing and possibly other health and safety measures. Employees working in certain positions may be required to undergo frequent COVID-19 testing prior to December 8th if they are not fully vaccinated.
The candidate must provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or undergo frequent COVID-19 testing (and possibly other health and safety measures). Effective December 8th, 2021, Boeing will require all new hires and employees located in the United States to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (without frequent testing as an alternative). Individuals who are unable to be fully vaccinated due to a disability/medical condition or sincerely held religious belief may apply for a reasonable accommodation. Individuals who are approved for a reasonable accommodation will be subject to frequent COVID-19 testing and possibly other health and safety measures.