Associate, Brand Strategy (Naming)
Are you a strategic word maven with a passion for branding?
As a Brand Strategy team member, you will apply strategic, analytical and creative thinking to solve challenging brand issues for clients on a daily basis. You will consult across industries, throughout the world and on a range of brand topics (e.g., positioning, brand architecture, customer experience), including a strong command of naming.
As an Associate, you will be responsible for clear and compelling evaluations of client situations and contexts. You will be viewed as an authority on research findings and implications, with the team looking to you for ideas on solutions, territories and how to tell a compelling story around them. You will help drive the project delivery, often owning individual modules and being responsible for leading the thought development and managing the process to get there. You will have the opportunity to run smaller scale projects from start to finish.
With a specialization in naming, you are experienced in:
- Understanding the nuances and intricacies of naming for global brands, particularly at the corporate level, ensuring work is delivered with strategic creativity
- Managing the naming process, including development of naming criteria and timelines, internal creative briefings, coordinating shortlisting and owning naming master lists
- Developing strategic rationales and concise stories to help clients envision the potential of each name candidate
- Working across a range of concurrent projects that leverage your full set of skills and build new ones
- Presenting with confidence and finesse to senior executive clients
- Bringing the right balance of empathy and expertise to gain client buy-in on recommendations
- Thinking and working with agility, guiding clients through various types of naming assignments, including high-profile launches, mergers and spinoffs.
This role offers exposure to a talented and passionate team, all the while developing and building some of the world’s leading brands. You will have the opportunity to make an imprint on new and existing brands, helping our clients create milestone achievements in their own careers.
Some ways you’ll be engaged and challenged as an associate:
- Synthesizing brand strategy insights from a broad array of inputs (e.g., client documents, research, best practices, market trends) to frame the situation and identify preliminary brand opportunities
- Managing day-to-day project work plans and guiding the work flow of consultant-level team members
- Organizing and coordinating development of client presentations
- Serving as a key point-person and face of the firm with clients and other stakeholders, including helping to manage expectations and facilitating discussions
- Collaborating with and guiding other strategists and peers to think divergently in formal and ad-hoc brainstorming, as well as building consensus around the way forward
- Helping motivate, develop and guide junior staff
- Quickly picking up new skills and knowledge, while leveraging our firm’s best practices and helping create new ones
- Effectively communicating with, and presenting to, internal teams and client teams
- Building your personal brand and trust among our partner/senior partner leaders
- Conducting in-depth interviews with a range of client and other external stakeholders
Great brand strategists come from different backgrounds. One of these or a combination could be a fit with the role:
- 5+ years excelling in brand strategy or management consulting; or in-house brand management with a deep understanding of branding firm processes and delivery
- A specialization in naming and verbal identity is strongly preferred; we may also consider having had close exposure to the naming process and a passion for naming, enabling you to quickly become versed in it
- Skilled in linguistics, creative writing or foreign language(s) is a plus
- Outstanding communications, writing and interpersonal skills, including managing up, down and laterally
- Excellent business intuition, ability to connect the dots and understand client implications
- Ability to thrive in team situations, actively contributing thinking that enhances and/or challenges key assumptions
- A willingness to push your thinking and stretch yourself to concept fresh ideas
- Comfort being challenged and stress-tested in a safe, thoughtful culture
- A passion for problem solving, creativity and storytelling to help our clients advance how they create outstanding brand experiences for their customers
- An appetite for learning and going deep on a diverse range of clients and industries
- A no-drama ethos where you’re as good at listening as leading
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally