Staff User Experience Researcher
LinkedIn’s vision is to create economic opportunity for every member of the global workforce.
Our global User Experience Research (UER) team advances this vision by discovering actionable insights to inform and inspire the design of quality, inclusive products. We're passionate about designing an equal, fair, and accessible platform that’s modern, engaging, and responsible.
Our products help professionals all over the world stay connected, informed, and productive. The LinkedIn ecosystem is about more than just job hunting. We create and support active communities and enterprise products around sales, marketing, learning, and recruiting. Our team uses a wide range of research methods across the product development lifecycle. We pride ourselves on the rigor of our work, and also encourage experimentation as we connect the dots between user insights, design patterns, and business goals.
Why join the User Experience Research team at LinkedIn?
- We have impact. We are strong partners to Design and Product, influencing at every level, from shaping early strategy, to launching new features, to measuring usability.
- We are creative. We value and encourage a mixed-method approach to addressing the most important and most human questions facing our teams.
- We are inclusive. We insist on centering trust, ethics, justice, and equity in every aspect of our work.
- We are supported. We have a dedicated operations team to cover scheduling, vendor onboarding, and more
- We thrive on feedback. We’re an eclectic and experienced team--some of the best in the industry! We also love to learn with and from each other as we strive to be our best and grow in our careers.
- We are a strong team. We enjoy a trusting, open environment and a healthy culture of gratitude…and we have fun together!
We’re looking for Researchers to join our team of critical thinkers and curious minds, to work with us in partnership and collaboration with product design, content design, product management, engineering, marketing, market research, and data science. Building products for the world's workforce takes a bold, diverse, empowered team — come be a part of ours.
Learn more about our community at design.linkedin.com
- Partner with design, product, and marketing colleagues to understand business needs, and design appropriate research studies to generate user-focused insights.
- Design and conduct user research studies, including surveys, in-depth interviews, field studies, focus groups, and concept/prototype testing.
- Foster collaboration with designers, product managers, marketers and sales to translate insights into actionable recommendations that inform innovation and execution.
- Work in partnership with other researchers and organizations within LinkedIn (e.g., data analytics) to create comprehensive and coordinated research strategies that triangulate data from different sources/methods to develop recommendations.
- Deliver compelling research findings with clear recommendations.
- 7+ years of experience in user or design research.
- Degree in Psychology, Cognitive Science, Human Factors, Anthropology, Human-Computer Interaction, Design, a related field – or equivalent experience.
- Strong ability to create research roadmaps to drive large scale projects independently and autonomously, with high levels of ambiguity or complexity, with experience of running multiple workstreams at once.
- Track record of framing a research study around business problems presented to them, and identifying customer needs or expectations. Can proactively articulate how research will inform or guide product strategy - pointing to unmet user needs or new opportunities.
- Ability to create new research questions and a plan to address them - along with measuring the effectiveness of the results.
- Demonstrates appropriate pairing of research method and context, experience triangulating methods and data as needed; Demonstrates deep understanding of common research methods and processes; is a go-to-person for one or more methods.
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding of established and emerging research methods, with the ability to create a multi-method research plan, based on solid rationale behind method choices.
- Strong ability to look back over previous research from multiple sources (whether internal or external), and arrive at a point of view that informs or evolves the subject of discussion.
- Excellent ability to bring research to life, make it interactive, put stakeholders in the users' shoes using a variety of techniques. Uses this to inspire co-creation.
- Extensive experience in actively and independently initiating change with cross-functional teams through workshops to help inform and influence project direction - with insights driving better outcomes.
- Has coached other individual contributors on approach and focus.
- Demonstrated experience in being able to solve large, open-ended problems, where the solution isn't obvious to the team raising it; Formulates an approach to provide traction and direction through insights that may end up taking the team in a completely different direction.
- Actively seeks out different audiences/users/points of view that may not have been considered (or asked for), but are relevant to the user experience.
- Has actively built relationships with cross-functional teams over time (outside of day to day project delivery), in order to create empathy and advocacy; Considered as an influencer and thought leader amongst cross-functional partners in previous work.
Equal Opportunity Statement
LinkedIn is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. LinkedIn considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class. LinkedIn is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer as described in our equal opportunity statement here. Please reference the Equal Employment Opportunity statement here and supplement here for more information.
LinkedIn is committed to offering an inclusive and accessible experience for all job seekers, including individuals with disabilities. Our goal is to foster an inclusive and accessible workplace where everyone has the opportunity to be successful.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to search for a job opening, apply for a position, or participate in the interview process, connect with us at email@example.com and describe the specific accommodation requested for a disability-related limitation.
Reasonable accommodations are modifications or adjustments to the application or hiring process that would enable you to fully participate in that process. Examples of reasonable accommodations include but are not limited to:
- Documents in alternate formats or read aloud to you
- Having interviews in an accessible location
- Being accompanied by a service dog
- Having a sign language interpreter present for the interview
A request for an accommodation will be responded to within three business days. However, non-disability related requests, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
LinkedIn will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by LinkedIn, or (c) consistent with LinkedIn's legal duty to furnish information.
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
As a federal contractor, LinkedIn follows the Pay Transparency and non-discrimination provisions described at this link: https://lnkd.in/paytransparency.
Global Data Privacy Notice
This document provides transparency around the way in which LinkedIn handles personal data of employees and job applicants at this link: https://lnkd.in/GlobalDataPrivacyNotice.
San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, LinkedIn will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.