Director of Software Engineering, Streams Infra
LinkedIn was built to help professionals achieve more in their careers, and every day millions of people use our products to make connections, discover opportunities, and gain insights. Our global reach means we get to make a direct impact on the world’s workforce in ways no other company can. We’re much more than a digital resume – we transform lives through innovative products and technology.
Searching for your dream job? At LinkedIn, we strive to help our employees find passion and purpose. Join us in changing the way the world works.
The mission of the Kafka team is to provide a scalable, highly reliable, messaging service for all of LinkedIn’s data platforms and applications. Kafka is a core data-infra technology that was born at LinkedIn and forms the backbone for data transport across all our nearline and offline systems. More than 11 trillion msgs/day are ingested into the Kafka clusters making it the largest Kafka deployment in the country. Kafka forms the core of LinkedIn's Streams Infra stack. It is the pub-sub messaging layer over which the stream processing layer (Samza) and the data pipelines layer (Brooklin) operate. The Kafka team delivers core feature development, deployment and managing the Kafka service for all of LinkedIn in partnership with the SRE team. The team also contributes to the open source Apache Kafka.
- Act as a role model of LinkedIn’s culture and values, and coaches and encourages others to model these values
- Contribute to the development and growth of talented leaders and engineers ranging from junior to senior levels of experience
- Be a champion of our open source portfolio and brand of LinkedIn technology and engineering
- Be a strong advocate for users and partners to enable their success
- Proactively engage and develop tight relationships with multiple software development partners, ensuring that product needs are met from an engineering perspective
- Play a leading role in the planning and execution of ongoing efforts for the organization based on the company’s long-term priorities and strategies to rapidly grow and setting the strategy and roadmap for Streams Infrastructure at LinkedIn
- Sustain a culture of strong craftsmanship in the work the team does while continuing to display strong execution and a bias for action
- 10+ years in a large-scale web application infrastructure leadership position
- 4+ years experience in one of the following areas, distributed systems, cloud architectures and cloud-native services, web engineering, large scale data systems.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- 4+ years experience at second level management experience (leading other managers)
- Masters in Computer Science or related field
- Passion for working with data at scale
- Hands on experience of developing distributed systems/databases (or other high scale data systems)
- Experience attracting, retaining, and developing top engineering and operations talent throughout the industry
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Held Director+ roles at consumer technology companies/cloud hosted infrastructure companies (Highly desirable)
- Dream big. Make big, bold moves to define and build the next generation of Streams infrastructure and inspire others to do so
Equal Opportunity Statement
LinkedIn is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. LinkedIn considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, citizenship, or any other legally protected class. LinkedIn is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer as described in our equal opportunity statement here. Please reference the Equal Employment Opportunity statement here and supplement here for more information.
LinkedIn is committed to offering an inclusive and accessible experience for all job seekers, including individuals with disabilities. Our goal is to foster an inclusive and accessible workplace where everyone has the opportunity to be successful.
If you need a reasonable accommodation to search for a job opening, apply for a position, or participate in the interview process, connect with us at firstname.lastname@example.org and describe the specific accommodation requested for a disability-related limitation.
Reasonable accommodations are modifications or adjustments to the application or hiring process that would enable you to fully participate in that process. Examples of reasonable accommodations include but are not limited to:
- Documents in alternate formats or read aloud to you
- Having interviews in an accessible location
- Being accompanied by a service dog
- Having a sign language interpreter present for the interview
A request for an accommodation will be responded to within three business days. However, non-disability related requests, such as following up on an application, will not receive a response.
LinkedIn will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by LinkedIn, or (c) consistent with LinkedIn's legal duty to furnish information.
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
As a federal contractor, LinkedIn follows the Pay Transparency and non-discrimination provisions described at this link: https://lnkd.in/paytransparency.
Global Data Privacy Notice
This document provides transparency around the way in which LinkedIn handles personal data of employees and job applicants at this link: https://lnkd.in/GlobalDataPrivacyNotice.