Software Engineer (Consulting)
Consulting Remote, United States Chicago, Illinois Diamond Bar, California Raleigh, North Carolina
Liferay, Inc. is a uniquely profitable B2B enterprise software company with 1,000+ fiery-eyed employees all across Europe, the Americas, Middle East, and Asia. As the leading provider of enterprise open source technologies, we have been recognized by Gartner for empowering businesses around the world to solve complex digital challenges. Our flagship product is the Liferay Digital Experience Platform, which companies like Honda, Bank of the West, and Airbus use to build customized experiences for their customers and employees.
But we don’t just make awesome software, we are also fueled by a greater-than-profit vision. By building a vibrant business, making technology useful, and investing in communities, we make it possible for people to reach their full potential to serve others. We give our employees five days paid off to volunteer at charities they’re excited about, and Liferay donates 10% of our profits to charities around the world. Oh, we’re also self-funded which gives us the freedom to work on whatever we think brings the most value to customers and communities in the long run!
About You and this RoleWhat if there was a hybrid job that pushed you to learn cutting-edge technologies, gave you opportunities to provide innovative solutions to clients like Honda, Airbus, AutoZone, and Volkswagen, and equipped you to train the growing population of Liferay users? Enter stage left our Consultant position. We're looking for people who love open source and want to grow with a company that's bursting at the seams. Apply now and tell us why you'd like to join the Liferay family!
- Provide technical leadership and guidance (to clients) in the installation, configuration, and implementation of Liferay's Java-based technologies.
- Fix core product defects to ensure successful deployment of client projects.
- Shadow senior consultants to execute non-full lifecycle consulting packages (kick-start, go-live, etc.).
- Perform devOps tasks, system setup and configurations, JVM level tasks, system integrations and architecture.
- Implement software solution adhering to departmental (and industry) best practices and conventions.
- Demonstrate independence and self-sufficiency in Liferay DXP development.
- Keep team leads and managers posted on statuses and issues.
- Respond to customer needs as they arise to ensure client satisfactions.
- Communicate with clients (directly) via verbal and written communication (in addressing issues, clearing up requirements, etc.)
- Document project information, best practices, and other relevant information to share.
- Take ownership of role and responsibilities.
- Mentor associate consultants.
- Increasing breadth of knowledge beyond software development, including system setup/config, JVM, devOps, external systems and platforms, system integrations, and system architecture.
- Mentoring and encouraging the associate consultants.
- Learning to architect solutions at the component level (aiming to become feature owners).
- Experience in writing enterprise strength Java / J2EE code
- Advanced understanding and experience in Java and OO design
- Enjoy teaching people complex topics
- Expert knowledge of databases (MySQL, Oracle)
- Experience with Websphere, Weblogic, JBOSS AS, or Tomcat
- Solid knowledge of Windows and Linux OS, Servlets/JSP, Spring and Hibernate, application performance and performance tuning
- Prior experience with Liferay or other portal solutions a plus
- Demonstrates expert analytical and problem-solving skills coupled with very strong motivation to identify and resolve customer issues
- Flexible, proven ability to work well under pressure, meet aggressive deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to travel 50% of the time to customer sites (post-pandemic).
What We Offer
- Salary package w/ competitive benefits according to qualifications and experience
- Opportunities to take responsibility and grow professionally
- A positive and collaborative work culture
- Working at a leading open source company
Liferay is committed to the equal treatment of all candidates, customers and employees and to fostering a culture of dignity at work. Our operating procedure provides for equal opportunities in recruitment and employment with the aim to eliminate discrimination against any job applicant or employee on the basis of race, age, sexual orientation, gender, religion or beliefs, marital or civil partnerships status, family or dependency status, disability, pregnancy and maternity or membership of a traveling community.