Director of People, APAC
Human Resources Bangalore, India
Liferay is a uniquely profitable B2B enterprise software company with 1,200+ fiery-eyed employees all across Europe, the Americas, Middle East, and Asia. As the leading provider of enterprise open source technologies, we have been recognized by Gartner for empowering businesses around the world to solve complex digital challenges. Our flagship product is the Liferay Digital Experience Platform, which companies like Honda, Bank of the West, and Airbus use to build customized experiences for their customers and employees. But we don’t just make awesome software, we are also fueled by a greater-than-profit vision. By building a vibrant business, making technology useful, and investing in communities, we make it possible for people to reach their full potential to serve others. We give our employees five days off to volunteer at charities they’re excited about, and Liferay donates 10% of our profits to charities around the world. Oh, we’re also self-funded which gives us the freedom to work on whatever we think brings the most value to customers and communities in the long run!
About You and this Role
The Director of People, Asia Pacific will act as a key business partner to the Vice President, Asia Pacific and Asia Pacific business teams, and most significantly the company’s expansion in India. Responsible for ensuring consistency of approach in talent acquisition, compensation and benefits, talent development, training and HR Operations. This role reports to the VP of People based in Los Angeles and is responsible for ensuring an aligned HR plan that balances both global and regional priorities. Working in a matrix structure with multiple stakeholders, the Director of People, Asia Pacific will work with the Regional Asia Pacific teams to execute on HR strategies and initiatives. This role has a high level of autonomy to operate in conjunction with the General Managers in the Asia Pacific region.
HR Strategy, Leadership, and Coordination
- Develop a strategic approach to human resources and the execution of people strategies within the business.
- Lead and support on a continuous change agenda advising on decisions to drive employee success
- Manage a team of local and regional HR professionals.
- Ensure that HR issues are given full consideration in all decision-making.
- Work with HR employees in each office to develop appropriate human resource policies and standards to ensure effective, fair and equitable management of employees throughout the organization.
- Provide advice, information, and support to Vice President of Asia Pacific, General Managers of Asia Pacific and VP of People in line with Liferay's core values.
- Focus on the continuous improvement of HR processes and procedures in the Asia Pacific region.
- Prepare reports for management in relation to employee turnover; new hires; resignations;training and development etc.
- Ensure that the recruitment standards in the region are maintained at the highest practicable level and are professional and rigorous.
- Involvement in senior-level resourcing including interviewing candidates and ensuring onboarding is completed.
- Build a strong pipeline of talent.
- Support, communicate, train and advise the management team on recruitment initiatives and interviewing techniques.
- Coordinate recruitment with external suppliers (contingent workforce, search firms, job posting agencies, temporary staffing agencies etc.).
Talent Management & Retention
- Executes talent, retention and succession planning initiatives.
- Working with the regional teams on Liferay’s quarterly review process.
- Support, communicate and advise senior management on their talent development initiatives.
- Create a maintain an employee onboarding per region or across Asia Pacific to ensure a smooth start of employment.
Compensation and Benefits
- Works closely with finance partners to consolidate Senior Executive compensation committee recommendations.
- Work with each region to ensure that fair and relevant compensation and benefits are selected and clearly defined to employees.
- Stay abreast of market data for salaries to assist with salary planning and benchmarking for new roles.
Culture Creation and Leadership
- Ensure that each regional office is making efforts to build close relationships with each employee through social events.
- Ensure that Liferay’s Employee Volunteering Program is being conducted.
- Advocate and lead the culture of Liferay values and vision.
- Adopt key HR systems (ie: payroll, timesheet, expenses, performance reviews, etc). Ensure alignment with Liferay Corporate HR and regional offices.
- Report and analyze employee data through the use of HR systems to help drive employee-related efforts and decisions.
- Coordinate the performance management of employees of the agency including job description formulation, assessments and promotions.
- Implementing performance appraisals, training and feedback across the agency in line with regional/global HR standards.
- Drive best practice and act as counsel to management on all issues of employee performance
- 20+ years in HR field with 5+ in HR Directorial/Leadership role, preferably in a multinational technology company.
- Good verbal and written English communication skills in order to communicate with multinational network individuals and managers in Asia Pacific.
- Proven experience of HR systems.
- Experience in relocation and expatriate management.
- Conversational or business level Japanese will be a plus.
- Up to date knowledge of HR policies, processes, and tools across the regions.
- Strong business partner and relationship building capabilities across a diverse international group.
- Able to understand the business and apply consistency and value-adding HR initiatives.
- Experience in driving change and integration.
- Quick thinking and comfortable in a creative setting and a fast-paced environment where each day brings new challenges and rewards.
- A self-starter; happy to pitch into the day-to-day necessary tasks and prioritize long-term projects.
- Excellent work ethic and grounding of discretion and confidentiality.
- Able to interpret and analyze numerical data and information
What We Offer
Equal Opportunities Employer - Statement