Continental Europe Finance Director
Continental Europe Finance Director
The primary responsibility of the Continental Europe Finance Director is to:
(1) Oversee all finance, accounting, budgeting, forecast and other reporting activities in the LHH - Continental Europe Market and ensure accurate and timely submission of all financial reports
(2) Ensure compliance with both LHH and Adecco Group Policies and management of relevant risks
(3) Be a trusted Finance Business Partner with LHH - Continental Europe Country Managing Director’s, Cluster Leaders, and other Functions Leaders on strategic issues and assist in preparation of management presentations and other key strategic activities
(4) Partner with the LHH - CFO Accelerated Growth Markets on strategic issues and assist in preparation of management presentations and other key strategic activities, which could expand across Europe and APAC as required.
This role will be a Second In Charge to the LHH – CFO Accelerated Growth Markets
Reports directly to the Accelerated Growth Markets CFO.
Frequent interactions with the LHH Global Corporate Finance Team (located in Florida, USA- in particular the Global Zone FP&A Team & Global Controller), as well as frequent interaction with the Continental Europe Cluster Leaders and Country Managing Directors.
When Accelerated Growth Markets CEO is based in Switzerland this role may assist in providing occasional support. Accelerate Growth Markets include Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, Italy, Spain, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Japan, India.
Will have 4 direct reports plus around 14 indirect reports across the Market. (Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, Italy, Spain)
Location of Position:
This position is located in Switzerland, Zurich.
|Financial – Accounting & Compliance|
Oversees Finance function and finance team within LHH - Continental Europe Market
Ensuring the timely and accurate preparation of LHH financial statements in accordance with US GAAP, Group Policies and Controls; This includes submission of the consolidated P&L and Balance Sheet; as well as timely and accurate production of statutory and internal financial reports; GM Reports, MFRPs, Tax Packages, etc.
Ensuring that appropriate systems and internal controls are implemented and maintained
Ensure account reconciliations are prepared monthly by each country and submitted to LHH Corporate
Review of monthly Executive Report (GM Report + MFRP report) and supervise preparation and review by countries for accuracy, including all supporting schedules
Ensure compliance with Adecco Group Policies and report progress 2x per year to CFO / AGP tool / Ensure country self-testing is done annually and documented; Remediate process issues (if any) in order to ensure compliance with policies
Work with auditors (internal and external)
Manage financial risk and ensure adequate provisions are recorded
Ensure tax returns are filed timely
Financial planning & analysis
Prepares the annual budgets and monthly forecasts and ensures accurate and timely information is provided
Supports the Cluster and Country MD’s to help drive the business strategy, drive commercial decisions, identify insights and actions, and help identify process improvements across the organization
Proactive Expense management:
- Ensure expenses are managed in line with revenues and recommend action plan for any deviation from budget / targets;
- Prepare contingency plans for any slowdown of business
- Prepares variance analysis on a monthly basis and highlight key issues and unusual items and provide recommendation to remediate
Monitor and tracks KPIs on a monthly basis for each line of business/ explain variance and provide recommendation to remediate deviation from target
Prepare competitor and market share analysis as needed
Prepare Ops Review documents and other management presentations
Lease Management: review of leases with focus on the long term, setting up space appropriately for downturn (start 18 months prior to lease expiration date) and reducing expenses whenever possible; Prepare assessment of possible option; complete RETA form and all required analysis of space needs (Programming guide)
Compensation and Bonus plan modelling / Partner with HR and Finance / Prepare monthly detailed schedules by person to support monthly accrual / Oversees commission calculation where applicable
Employees/Contractor risk management and documentation: ensure proper classification / documentation and compliance with local and tax laws for associates and contractors; perform quarterly risk assessment and document results in “matrix” tool.
Contract Management: ensure compliance / roll out contract Matrix template / work closely with Global Finance and Legal
Risk Management: Capture items for quarterly risk report, assess reserves required (if applicable) with adequate support for analysis, and implement required mitigating actions (audit risks, employee related risks, lawsuit, etc.)
Ongoing review of Vendor spend and opportunities for savings
Participate in any special projects as assigned, inclusive of working on any potential merger & acquisitions, which is inclusive across APAC countries
Manage Accounts Receivable and keep DSO days within target levels
|Lead and Support Continental Europe Finance team|
Provide strong leadership to finance team members across Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, and Poland. (Other may be assigned from time to time.)
Define clear priorities; Hold team accountable, review their work, ensure respect of deadlines and provide feedback
Travel from time to time to offices to review and support their work on site
Improve Peakon / Great Place to Work engagement scores Implement actions defined in plan
Work with staff on their development areas to help each one of them grow
- Attention to detail and ability to deliver timely, accurate financial detail
- Strong commercial acumen
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; experience in effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues at all levels
- Ability to be a close finance business partner, but remain independent and challenge the business as required
- Ability to effectively influence others at various levels within the organization
- Ability to develop, improve, and streamline processes to meet established goals and objectives
- Hands on approach
- High personal energy, coupled with a genuine enthusiasm for achieving operational excellence
- Maintain composure under stress
- Deadline and action oriented
- Technical US & Local GAAP knowledge and understanding of key differences between the two; Must understand revenue recognition requirements;
- M&A experience: targets evaluation and recommendation, including business case, preparation of the valuation model/ DCF, experience in conducting Due Diligence and post-deal integration;
- Experience in new accounting / front-office system roll-out
- Audit experience (internal or external)
- Modelling experience (compensation plans, business case, etc.)
- FP&A experience: Budgeting, Forecasting, variance analysis, including competitor and market analysis
- Real Estate: experience in managing real estate portfolio and making recommendation for alternate solutions while staying on top of leases expiration dates
- Background of process improvement / operations inside a sales-focused organization
- Ability to navigate complex mid-office applications
- Computer literate with good excel skills and solid understanding of accounting software principles:
- Advanced Microsoft Excel for Windows;
- Advanced PowerPoint
- Intermediate Microsoft Word for Windows
- JD Edwards / E1 a plus
Education and languages
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, or a related field.
- Qualified accountant or CPA or similar accounting credential.
- Languages: English required
- Minimum 10 to 15 years’ experience in accounting/finance field and in leading teams, with most recent role being in a Finance Director or equivalent position
- Experience in both Controllership and FP&A is desirable
- FP&A experience: Budgeting, Forecasting, variance analysis
- Understanding of Career Transition Industry and/or HR Advisory business model a plus
- Minimal - but ability to travel within Europe, and globally, as required.
The world of work is changing fast.
Profound changes at profound speed.
But whereas many see change as an existential threat,
a select few see it as an opportunity to make a difference.
An opportunity to deliver lifelong employability to a generation of talent in transition.
An opportunity to develop leaders, recognizing the capabilities needed for today,
while nurturing the expertise needed for the future.
And an opportunity to look beyond what’s right for a company, to what’s right for society as a whole.
And out of the few that see these opportunities, there are even fewer placed to actually deliver them.
At Lee Hecht Harrison, we have the scale, the expertise and the insight, not only to identify these opportunities, but to realize them.
Transforming workforces though career transition, talent development and strategic advisory.
Developing future skills, flexibility and foresight, delivered with a distinctly human heart.
We’re obsessively passionate, and quantifiably effective.
Making a difference to everyone we work with and for. And delivering it on a global scale.
Because opportunities aren’t there to be observed.
They’re there to be taken.
This is LHH.
This is Opportunity, delivered.
LHH is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veterans’ status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For additional information on our Diversity and Inclusion policy, please consult the following link: https://www.lhh.com/us/en/diversity-and-inclusion