Digital Marketing Director, E-Commerce
The company is an integrated creative marketing agency that has gone from start-up to multi-national in a little over two decades. The company now ranks in the top 40 agencies worldwide and has 24 offices. Its success is due to a combination of factors: talented people delivering award winning campaigns; expanding client relationships into new markets or services; making strategic acquisitions. The agency, its people and client campaigns have won many prestigious awards, including Cannes Lions, Digital Impact, Holmes Report, ICCO, PRCA and European Excellence.
About this role
The Digital Marketing Director, E-Commerce will be responsible for leading the strategy, management, and implementation of client digital marketing strategies and plans on e-commerce platforms, while ensuring tactical collaboration with all other channels and solutions in the paid media ecosystem (including but not limited to Paid Search, Display Media, and Paid Social). The Digital Marketing Director, E-Commerce will work with teams and clients across the US. Some travel in the US region may be required.
This is an opportunity that will suit an ambitious professional who relishes the chance to help grow something, thrives on challenges and on working in a fast paced, international environment. With a strong entrepreneurial spirit, you understand how to best apply this spirit to a growing global organization. An important aspect of this roll will be to further build out of the agency’s e-commerce practice, building upon the work to date. This includes hiring and team leadership, as well as cultivating new business opportunities with current and prospective clients, partnering closely with the client engagement teams and account leaders.
Client-facing skills, technical knowledge and strong organizational ability are important in this role, as well as the ability to integrate across teams and practice areas.
Purpose of the role
The Digital Marketing Director, E-Commerce will deliver best in class paid media programs that leverage e-commerce platforms to our clients, from audits and strategy development, to execution and effective tracking and reporting. This individual will participate in all aspects of executing high profile and complex e-commerce paid media campaigns, including planning, implementation, monitoring, optimization, analysis and reporting. The Digital Marketing Director, E-Commerce is often the lead day-to-day subject matter expert (SME) contact for their assigned clients, providing strategic recommendations, analysis, and reporting as well as responding to ad-hoc requests. This individual will spearhead further build out of LEWIS’ e-commerce offerings, further building the team, educating internal and external stakeholders, acting as a key resource for the Paid Media team, and overseeing junior members in both training and oversight of e-commerce campaign strategy and execution.
Key responsibilities and tasks
- Engages in and ensures a strategic relationship with the client, providing insight and partnership in paid e-commerce solutions, as well as across the paid media ecosystem and marketing spectrum as a whole
- Responsible for ensuring excellent client communication at all levels; defining KPIs, deadlines and service agreements
- Delivers an added-value consultancy and works closely with clients to deliver campaigns, services and products across all communications channels, while proactively makes recommendations based upon evolving industry best practices, competitor strategies, and benchmarking within e-commerce platforms
- Actively works with team to manage e-commerce campaign budgets to the clients’ weekly and monthly budget goals
- Works with the team to create, manage measure, and optimize campaigns to meet established KPIs on various marketplaces; oversees performance data analysis and provides intelligent insights / recommendations and appropriate action plans based on conclusions
- Participates the new business process (and pitches as needed), playing a crucial role in selling LEWIS credentials throughout the tender process to further develop LEWIS’ e-commerce practice and portfolio
- Develops relevant audits and innovative strategies/tactics for clients
- Develops e-commerce media plans (i.e. research, targeting, budget allocation, forecasting, network distribution) and build effective relationships with all vendors and platforms
- Works with other LEWIS business disciplines (including but not limited to Social Media, SEO and PR) to integrate, optimize and cross-sell campaigns
- Acts as a respected line manager, working closely with line reports to maximize strengths, improve weaknesses and support career development and appraisal processes
- Runs and supports training sessions, with a view to maximizing opportunities to expand team skills and grow revenues
- Acts as leader in guiding colleagues on how to best manage campaigns and projects
- Takes a “never go at it alone” approach, ensuring shoulder-to-shoulder training and education in the e-commerce space is regular and consistent practice
- Takes a proactive role in promoting the LEWIS brand, its identity, values and work
- Supports the HR / talent team by promoting both internal and external opportunities at LEWIS across social media and via the referral program
You have experience working at a director level or equivalent in a Paid Media department at a digital or PR agency, with extensive experience specifically managing e-commerce marketing budgets (on Amazon, as well as other platforms such as Walmart and Target). You are ever curious, passionate and constantly strive to produce exceptional work. You are driven to continue learning about your chosen field to enhance and expand the work that you can produce. Inherently collaborative, you engage your colleagues to achieve success for employees, clients and the business. High energy and dedicated, you are able to work to tight deadlines to get the work done, all while fostering a fun and engaging environment with the team. Experience of working in a fast-paced and changeable environment is essential.
- 8+ years of experience in Media, with a specialty in ecommerce
- Extensive experience in a mid/senior capacity overseeing e-commerce marketing budgets on Amazon (including Search, Display/DSP), for premier brands and advertisers. Expertise in other platforms (e.g. Target, Walmart) highly desired
- Deeply intimate with all paid media vehicles, including Paid Search, Paid Social, and Programmatic
- Well versed in bid and budget oversight and management, content strategy, and planning
- Significant experience in building and managing day-to-day client relationships at all levels
- An analytical mindset and approach to problem-solving, with a passion for data
- Experience managing/mentoring junior staff and team leadership
- Qualified candidates will possess a Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Excellent mathematical, analytical, and critical thinking skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Fluent English Speaker and writer
- Ability to learn quickly, and become skilled in industry-specific and agency-specific software
- Expertise in Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
Key senior internal contacts
- Vice President, Digital (New York) – line manager
- Vice Presidents, Digital Marketing (San Francisco and New York)
- SVP, Strategic Integrated Accounts (San Diego)
- SVP, Digital (Boston)
- SVP, PR (San Diego)
Remuneration and benefits
- Basic salary dependent on experience
- 20 days’ vacation per year
- Fully paid premiums for employee health, vision, life and short term disability insurance
- Partially paid premiums for dental insurance
- 401k with 2% contribution match
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of the responsibilities for this role. Other responsibilities may be added from time to time.
LEWIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating and fostering an environment focused on equality, empowerment and respect. We strive to create an inclusive workplace that supports and celebrates our diversity. We continue to invest in our efforts to ensure that LEWIS is a place where everyone can thrive.