Managing Director/Managing Supervisor (Public Relations)
LEWIS is seeking an experienced PR professional to help grow our Chicago presence, which is pivotal to the evolution of our US operation. With a passion for driving innovation in the delivery of marketing services, the Managing Director will help build and retain business and manage client accounts. The role reports into the Senior Vice President, East Coast.
This is an opportunity that will suit an ambitious professional who relishes the chance to help develop and grow a business, thrives on challenges and on working in a fast paced, international environment. With a strong entrepreneurial spirit, you understand how to best apply this spirit to a growing global organization.
The company is an integrated communications agency that has gone from start-up to multi-national in a little over two decades. The company now ranks in the top 40 agencies worldwide and has 24 offices. Its success is due to a combination of factors: talented people delivering award winning campaigns; expanding client relationships into new markets or services; making strategic acquisitions. The agency, its people and client campaigns have won many prestigious awards, including Cannes Lions, Holmes Report, ICCO, PRCA and European Excellence.
Purpose of the role
The Managing Director, Chicago will work closely with the Senior Vice President, East Coast on the growth and development of the Chicago office. The Managing Director will champion a teamworking culture, providing hands on professional development and encouraging people to think differently about creative solutions.
Working with colleagues and teams across the US and often internationally, the Managing Director will work on new business credentials and pitches and with onboarding wins. They will provide strategic and creative consultancy to clients on their integrated marketing journey. The role will drive excellent client service, retention and profitability.
- Develop close relationships with clients, providing added-value strategic consultancy and initiatives for retention and organic growth
- Ensure the delivery of excellent, consistent service and measurable business results to clients
- Drive proactive upselling of services and products to increase retainer and project revenue
- Promote the integration of PR and digital marketing to deliver a cohesive service offer to clients
- Manage business and operational elements, including client profitability, budgets and costs, resource planning, etc
- For new business, help identify and engage prospects plus key intermediaries and influencers
- Work on credentials and pitches, helping to develop the strategic insight, messaging and creative concepts
- Help recruit and retain a high calibre team – inspire and nurture a motivational office culture
- Manage and motivate direct reports, setting and reviewing goals; work to maximize strengths, improve weaknesses and support career development
- Champion the cascading of US clients across the global network
- Overall, be a collaborative, encouraging, supportive member of the East Coast team.
You have been involved in winning and developing accounts as well as in the retention and organic growth of existing clients. Dynamic, assertive and influential, you are a charismatic leader with the skills and aptitude to coach and motivate a team, which is currently working remotely, top to bottom. Passionate about breaking new ground to lead progress, you have B2B PR experience and/or corporate comms experience and have worked in the tech sector. You are comfortable talking about integrated marketing solutions involving creative, digital, demand generation, media, reputation management. Experience of working in a fast paced, international environment, and with regional teams, is beneficial.
- Well connected in the Chicago business and marketing communities; a keen networker
- Agency experience integrating PR with digital marketing, content and broader marketing activities
- Proven track record of exceeding goals; evidence of consistently making good decisions through a combination of analysis, experience and judgment
- Successful commercial and operational management experience
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future trends and potential pitfalls
- Excel at managing and leading ambitious and creative people; a collaborative team builder who is able to instil accountability and empower people to succeed
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; an articulate and convincing presenter
- Knowledge of finance, operational/information systems, HR
- Ability to problem solve, project manage and multi-task. Will take charge of a situation and act
- Integrity, humility, self-drive/initiative – and a sense of humor!
Key internal contacts
- SVP, East Coast (Chicago) – line manager
- SVP, Digital East (Boston)
- SVPs/VPs leading Boston, Chicago, San Diego, San Francisco, Washington DC
- SVP, US Head of Brand Marketing (San Francisco)
- Client Engagement team (Boston)
- VP HR (San Francisco)
Remuneration and benefits
- Basic salary dependent on experience
- 20 days’ vacation per year
- Fully paid premiums for employee health, vision, life and short term disability insurance
- Partially paid premiums for dental insurance
- 401k with 2% contribution match
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of the responsibilities for this role.
Other responsibilities may be added from time to time.
LEWIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating and fostering an environment focused on equality, empowerment and respect. We strive to create an inclusive workplace that supports and celebrates our diversity. We continue to invest in our efforts to ensure that LEWIS is a place where everyone can thrive.