Head of People
Job title Head of People, UK
Based London HQ
Reporting to VP People, APAC & EMEA
TEAM LEWIS is seeking a dynamic, cutting edge HR leader for its London HQ office. As an organisation committed to creating and fostering an environment focused on equality, empowerment and respect, this role requires someone who is experienced in creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive workplace and culture. This is an opportunity that will suit an ambitious professional who thrives on challenges and working in a fast paced, international environment. With a strong entrepreneurial spirit, you understand how to best apply this spirit to a growing independent global organisation.
About TEAM LEWIS
The company is an integrated communications agency that has gone from start-up to multi-national in a little over two decades. The company now ranks in the top 40 agencies worldwide and has 24 offices. Its success is due to a combination of factors: talented people delivering award winning campaigns; expanding client relationships into new markets or services; making strategic acquisitions. The agency, its people and client campaigns have won many prestigious awards, including Cannes Lions, PRvoke, ICCO, PRCA and European Excellence.
Purpose of the role
The Head of People, UK is a key business partnering position for our global HQ. An intuitive, innovative professional, the Head of People has a creative approach to people related initiatives and employee retention and engagement programmes. A senior member of the UK management team, the Head of People will also work closely with the global CEO, COO and CoS and broader EMEA HR team. The role will have the opportunity to own, lead and drive specific EMEA people engagement projects and tasks.
Relationship building & communications
- Build relationships with senior stakeholders to become a trusted adviser
- Work at pace with the C-level executives and help turn vision into reality
- Ensure open communication and information/knowledge sharing within the UK HR and Talent team and with regional and global counterparts.
- Proactively drive innovation within the HR function that supports growth in the business
- Develop a robust understanding of the UK clients and service offering to strategically partner with the C-level team on service integration, launches of new services and products, change management
- Be an active contributor on global marketing task forces to ensure consistency between HR marketing and broader marketing campaigns
- Partner with global marketing to showcase TEAM LEWIS externally as a best place to work.
- Provide an effective and dedicated HR advisory service in relation to employee relations matters; manage issues through to resolution
- Anticipate and investigate people related issues and report on findings with recommendations, taking into account best practice, law, policies and precedent; coach and support management accordingly.
- Oversee (with continual review and enhancement of) the on-boarding and induction process for all new starters, ensuring a smooth introduction to TEAM LEWIS
- Ensure regular feedback sessions with new and existing team members in order to proactively recommend areas of improvement and ensure consistent engagement
- Review benefits - make recommendations accordingly to ensure competitiveness
- Contribute to, and roll-out, engagement initiatives created with the global HR team
- Promote and help nurture an excellent culture – help identify areas that require improvement, making recommendations and actioning accordingly
- Lead the UK DICE team, working closely with the UK team and senior management to roll out D&I initiatives in line with the goals of the agency.
- Develop and implement regional EMEA training programmes with the VP HR, cascading these locally analyse feedback to ensure effectiveness and introduce changes where necessary
- Manage the design and delivery of HR development workshops to enhance people management knowledge and skills.
Reporting, operations and analysis
- Support the VP, People in compiling and interpreting monthly management information / reports for regional management and Board meetings
- Identify useful ad-hoc reports and/or analysis to help drive people related programmes
- Be a super-user on the dedicated HR platform with full administrative capabilities; review the system for improvements and ensure that it is being used to its full capacity
- Ensure the HR team regularly updates and maintains the UK’s Employee Handbook
- Ensure the HR team carries out regular audits of the server files and HR platform to ensure that all documentation is present and that information is accurate.
- Effective and engaging line manager to the HR Executive and HR Assistant
- Support the VP People on regional and global initiatives and projects
- Provide support for recruitment in the UK and on the strategic investment hiring plan as required.
- Be a cultural ambassador: showcase initiatives using social media channels
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of HR systems, practices and policies, ensuring that they underpin our company culture.
- Strong HR generalist skill set – ideal if gained within an international company in a fast moving, dynamic and creative industry e.g. PR, advertising, marketing, broadcast, recruitment
- Collaborative self-starter with ideas and initiative, who is goal driven
- Experience of partnering with senior management and of influencing and guiding their decisions
- Sound knowledge, understanding and practical application of employment law
- Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency on social media and enthusiasm to engage and promote on the platforms available
- Experience of using a HR system – Bamboo HR would be a bonus
- Experience of managing all aspects of payroll and understanding of payroll compliance
- Well organised; ability to prioritise; attention to detail; a pragmatic approach
- Energetic, confident, charismatic, and a sense of humour! - a credible team player.
Key Internal Contacts
- VP HR, APAC & EMEA (Singapore) – line manager
- HR Executive, UK – direct report
- Talent team in the UK and APAC & EMEA HR team
- UK MD and senior management team
- Senior Marketing & Communications Manager, EMEA (London)
- Chief Executive Officer (London / San Diego)
- Chief Operating Officer (London)
- Chief of Staff (London)
- Legal Counsel (London)
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of the responsibilities for this role. Other responsibilities may be added from time to time.
TEAM LEWIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating and fostering an environment focused on equality, empowerment and respect. We strive to create an inclusive workplace that supports and celebrates our diversity. We continue to invest in our efforts to ensure that TEAM LEWIS is a place where everyone can thrive.