Legal Counsel, Western Europe
About TEAM LEWIS
The company is an integrated communications agency that has gone from start-up to multi-national in a little over two decades. The company now ranks in the top 40 agencies worldwide and has 24 offices. Its success is due to a combination of factors: talented people delivering award winning campaigns; expanding client relationships into new markets or services; making strategic acquisitions. The agency, its people and client campaigns have won many prestigious awards, including Cannes Lions, PRovoke Media, ICCO, European Excellence, PRCA Digital, Digital Impact, Global Digital Excellence.
Purpose of the role
As a Legal Counsel, you will be part of TEAM LEWIS in-house legal team which oversees all legal aspects of TEAM LEWIS globally. You will be responsible for providing advice and assistance on a range of legal subjects at TEAM LEWIS. The Legal Counsel will provide professional and high-quality legal advice, and will be guided by a strong commercial awareness, keeping the needs of the agency and the business at all times to the fore.
The successful candidate will work collaboratively with the other members of the legal team and will advise internal stakeholders (account servicing, new business, finance, HR, marketing teams) in Western Europe and liaise with third parties outside TEAM LEWIS (clients, suppliers, landlords, regulatory authorities) on legal issues in order to advance and protect the interests of TEAM LEWIS.
The Legal Counsel will have experience in private legal practice or and in house environment and will have rudimentary knowledge of IP and privacy related legislation.
As a Legal Counsel your main responsibilities will include:
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating different types of commercial contracts;
- Supporting business teams and other operational units by providing legal guidance on business initiatives and ad hoc requests;
- Handling pre-litigation and legal disputes and enquiries;
- Working in close collaboration with external parties (including external law firms);
- Advising on compliance matters in the relevant jurisdictions;
- Support direct line on developing training, company policies and internal legal processes to improve legal business and templates as required;
- Assist in maintaining insurance, property and IP portfolio;
- Assist with company secretarial and corporate matters;
- Staying abreast of recent developments and ensuring that the business is fully aware of its contractual obligations and the commercial impacts of their actions;
- Master in Law preferably from a civil law jurisdiction;
- Minimum of 5 years of proven relevant experience as an in-house legal counsel in an international company or reputable law firm;
- You are fluent in English and dutch; ideally an additional second European language
- You have strong written as well as verbal communication skills and are able to translate difficult legal concepts in plain terms;
- You are adept in negotiating international contracts independently and are capable of protecting the company’s contractual interests and advocate them internally and externally as necessary;
- You have proven knowledge of and experience in the application of one of the following disciplines: intellectual property law, property law, data protection or employment law.
- You adopt a pragmatic business approach and understand the implications associated for the broader business.
- You have excellent analytical skills and have a sense of detail in your work but are able to provide risk-based advice tailored to the appropriate audience.
- You are accustomed to working with different cultures or can adjust accordingly.
- You have good time management skills;
- You are collaborative and enjoy sharing knowledge but are able to work independently.
- Experience of the public relations, media or technology sectors would be advantageous but not essential.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of the responsibilities for this role. Other responsibilities may be added from time to time.
TEAM LEWIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating and fostering an environment focused on equality, empowerment and respect. We strive to create an inclusive workplace that supports and celebrates our diversity. We continue to invest in our efforts to ensure that TEAM LEWIS is a place where everyone can thrive.