Senior HR Manager, UK
Job title Senior HR Manager, UK
Based London HQ
Reporting to VP HR, APAC & EMEA
LEWIS is seeking a dynamic and experienced Senior HR Manager for its London HQ office. As an organisation committed to creating and fostering an environment focused on equality, empowerment and respect, this role requires someone who is experienced in creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive workplace and culture.
This is an opportunity that will suit an ambitious professional who thrives on challenges and working in a fast paced, international environment. With a strong entrepreneurial spirit, you understand how to best apply this spirit to a growing independent global organization.
The company is an integrated communications agency that has gone from start-up to multi-national in a little over two decades. The company now ranks in the top 40 agencies worldwide and has 24 offices. Its success is due to a combination of factors: talented people delivering award winning campaigns; expanding client relationships into new markets or services; making strategic acquisitions. The agency, its people and client campaigns have won many prestigious awards, including Cannes Lions, Holmes Report, ICCO, PRCA and European Excellence.
Purpose of the role
The Senior HR Manager is a key business partnering position for our global HQ. An intuitive professional, the Senior HR Manager is able to provide high level consultancy and effective generalist HR support.
A senior member of the UK management team, the Senior HR Manager is also a member of the broader EMEA HR team. This role will have the opportunity to lead on, and own, specific EMEA people engagement projects and tasks.
Relationship building & communications
- Buildspartnerships with senior stakeholders to become a trusted adviser
- Ensuresopen communication within the UK HR and Talent team and with regional and global counterparts
- Regularly reviews communication channels and suggest improvements e.g. ensuring consistency, and information/knowledge sharing
- Responds to various HR enquiries with sound advice/guidance.
- Providesan effective and dedicated HR advisory service in relation to absence and health issues, conduct and capability, grievance matters, organisational change and all other employee relations matters; manages such cases through to resolution
- Leadson casework relating to sickness absence. This includes making recommendations, giving advice and support to managers, liaising with occupational health, case review meetings with employees and managers
- Carriesout exit interviews and reports back findings, with recommendations, to the UK management team.
- Providescoaching and support to line managers in managing employee relations issues, intervening and steering the appropriate direction taking into account policies, law, best practice and precedent
- Updatesthe team on any new and applicable employment policies and/or procedures..
- Oversees (with continual review and enhancement of) the on-boarding and induction process lead by the HR Executive and Talent Coordinator for all new starters, ensuring a smooth introduction to LEWIS
- Schedules on-going feedback sessions with new starters throughout the probation period, reporting back and reacting to any pertinent findings
- Ensures best practice for reviews, managing this process to ensure timely completion and proactively recommending areas of improvement to ensure consistent engagement
- Inputs to, and rolls-out, talent initiatives created with the global HR team
- Promotes and helps nurture an excellent culture – helps identify areas that require improvement, making recommendations and actioning accordingly
- Leads the UK DICE team, working closely with the UK team and senior management team to roll out D&I initiatives in line with the ambitious goals of the agency.
- Working closely with the senior management team, drives the local training programme
- Reviews, suggestsand implements regional training programmes with the VP HR, cascading this locally based on a training needs analysis
- Supports and managesthe training roll out, analysing feedback to ensure effectiveness, introducing changes where necessary
- Managesthe design and delivery of development workshops in areas of HR to enhance people management knowledge and skills.
Payroll and benefits
- Managesand executes the UK payroll process
- Responsible for payroll compliance matters, workingwith the Finance team to ensure compliance in all areas of payroll
- Manages and executesthe administration and communication of all UK benefits, working with external suppliers
- Reviewsbenefits, introducing new ones where necessary and communicating these across the region, as relevant.
Reporting, operations and analysis
- Supports the VP HR to compileand interpret monthly management information / reports for regional management and Board meetings
- Compilesad-hoc reports and/or analysis as and when required
- Isa super-user on the dedicated HR platform with full administrative capabilities; reviews the system for improvements and ensures the region is using it to its full capacity
- Managesthe timely communication of written changes to terms and conditions of employment e.g. promotions, job title changes, leavers, salary changes, new contracts, ensuring that personnel files are updated and maintained
- Responsible for the maintenance of the UK’s Employee Handbook
- Developsand maintains the reporting templates and shares these across the global HR team
- Carriesout regular audits of the server files and HR platform to ensure that all documentation is present and that information is accurate.
- Where relevant, carriesout first stage interviews with candidates and provides feedback to hiring managers
- Overall, providessupport in recruitment efforts in the UK and on the strategic investment hiring plan as required.
- Effective and engaging line manager to the HR Executive, UK
- Supportsthe VP HR on regional and global initiatives and projects
- Isa cultural ambassador for the region: promoting initiatives, using all social media channels to showcase our HR activity and upcoming projects
- Contributesand supports the continuous improvement of HR systems, practices and policies ensuring that they underpin our company culture.
- Strong HR generalist skill set – ideal if gained within an international company in a fast moving, dynamic and creative industry e.g. PR, advertising, marketing, broadcast, recruitment
- Experience in managing a wide variety of employee relations issues
- Sound knowledge, understanding and practical application of employment law
- Collaborative self-starter with initiative, who is goal driven
- Creative thinking “outside the box” to provide solutions and solve problems
- Experience of dealing with senior management and of influencing and guiding their decisions
- Proven record of managing projects through to completion
- Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency on social media and enthusiasm to engage and promote on the platforms available
- Experience of using an HR system – Bamboo HR a bonus
- Experience of managing all aspects of payroll and understanding of payroll compliance
- Well organised; ability to prioritise; attention to detail; a pragmatic approach
- Energetic, confident, charismatic - a credible team player.
Key Internal Contacts
- VP HR, APAC & EMEA (Singapore) – line manager
- HR Executive, UK – direct report
- Talent team in the UK - peers
- Senior team, UK (MD, UK; Head of PR; Executive Creative Director; Directors)
- APAC & EMEA HR team
- Chief Operating Officer (London)
- Chief of Staff (London)
- Legal Counsel (London)
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of the responsibilities for this role. Other responsibilities may be added from time to time.
LEWIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to creating and fostering an environment focused on equality, empowerment and respect. We strive to create an inclusive workplace that supports and celebrates our diversity. We continue to invest in our efforts to ensure that LEWIS is a place where everyone can thrive.