Regional Finance Director
The River Valley Media Group, a Lee Enterprises company in La Crosse, WI seeks an experienced professional with a proven track record in accounting and management to help lead the River Valley Media Group team, a group of award winning daily newspapers including the La Crosse Tribune, Winona Daily News, Chippewa Herald and a large group of weekly and community newspapers.
In addition to local responsibilities, this position will have regional responsibilities for other Lee Enterprises Newspapers in the nearby region.
The Regional Finance Director position will handle day-to-day responsibilities related to maintaining adequate internal controls in the finance area. The successful candidate will take charge of the monthly, quarterly and annual reporting processes, define and document procedures, implement appropriate controls, and streamline financial review and variance analysis. The candidate must communicate effectively, have strong time management skills, and lead the management teams through successful planning and implementation of local strategies. Additionally, the position will require participation in a corporate led regional group consistently looking for process improvement, cost savings and overall ideas for company-wide success at achieving financial goals of the corporation.
- Handle all general accounting responsibilities of the River Valley Media Group including supervising and managing rapid monthly closes
- Assure accuracy of financial reporting process ensuring that all reported results are in compliance with company policies and procedures
- Prepare budgets by establishing schedules; collect, analyze, and consolidate financial data; recommend plans.
- Achieve budget objectives by scheduling expenditures; analyze variances; initiate corrective actions.
- Prepare special reports for the executive team by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends.
- Maintain income statements and balance sheet, monthly forecast, and annual budget.
- Responsible for managing working capital and strategic planning.
- Monitor and control departmental budgets
- Prepare monthly financial reporting package, inclusive of all supplemental supporting documents
- Analyze financial data to detect errors or missing information and initiate corrective actions as needed
- Work closely with corporate accounting to complete all necessary external reporting (tax and audit)
- Assure compliance with all tax matters including income tax, local taxes and sales tax
- Perform other special projects or duties when required
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of eight (8) years’ experience in Accounting/Auditing
- Five (5) years supervisory/managerial experience in the Accounting field.
- Knowledge and experience in general accounting principles and practices.
- Knowledge of automated accounting systems and software applications.
- Financial record keeping and reporting procedures.
- Medical/Dental/Vision/Life Insurance
- Generous paid time off
Lee Enterprises is a leading provider of local news and information, and a major platform for advertising, in its markets, with 46 daily newspapers and a joint interest in four others, rapidly growing digital products and nearly 300 specialty publications in 22 states. Lee's newspapers have circulation of 1.0 million daily and 1.4 million Sunday, reaching over three million readers in print alone. Lee Common Stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol LEE. For more information about Lee, please visit www.lee.net.