Lead Quality Control Analyst - R&D
Responsible for the residential / international Research & Development Quality Operating Systems that drive “Best-in-Class” Quality products, processes, and systems. Drive timely corrective actions and overall solutions for recurring product or process failures, both internal and external. Ensure that R&D meets the overall quality needs for all manufacturing sites. Interfaces with Manufacturing, Supplier quality, customer service, and comfort care to drive quality improvements and ensure quality launches of new products. Leads all R&D Quality functions through strong leadership and provides direction, coaching, departmental goals, and training.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (other duties as assigned):
• Performs routine analysis of total COQ/COF, both internal and external, identify top opportunities, conducts pareto analysis, and prioritizes product failures in need of prompt corrective action.
• Set audit schedule and train auditors.
• Assist in the establishment and maintenance of Test Lab certification and the upkeep of controlled documents.
• Manage all incoming quality REAs.
• Manage all Deviation requests.
• Develop and track key quality metrics.
• Implements strategic plans, policies, and procedures at all levels to ensure the quality system will meet or exceed internal and external customers’ needs and expectations.
• Following the completion of corrective actions, monitors the affected product field failure trend data to verify the effectiveness of corrective actions. Communicates improvements to the entire organization through various media (i.e. newsletter, meetings, town halls, plant meetings, staff meetings, etc.)
• Leads and drives “Zero” defect culture across the organization through training and on-going communication.
• Knowledgeable of the status of the development of new products. Ensure all elements of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) are followed and gate deliverables are met. Provides continuous improvement to new product launch and follows through to full production and sustains superior quality throughout the product life cycle.
• Supports the action items and activities of the Dealer Customer Partnership program as they relate to product and process quality improvements. Provides prompt response to the product complaints of External Sales Reps and Associates, including acknowledgement of receipt of the complaint and resolution of the product problem.
• Ensures corporate Quality Operating System (QOS) is adopted, implemented, functioning effectively and continuously improved.
• Schedule bi-annual management review of QOS.
• Control all QOS documents.
• Executes corrective actions for audit findings in a timely manner.
• Manage corrective action system.
• Manages the QIS (Quality Information System) system for gathering data throughout the operations. Assures that measurement systems used in the quality system are appropriate to the current level of the quality system.
• Determines the need for statistical methods to analyze variation as appropriate for the level of the quality system. Uses this information to drive a “Fact -Based Decision Making” quality system.
SCOPE & IMPACT:
Improves cost of quality (COQ) to drive customer satisfaction and cost improvement. Provides quality related guidance to engineering, product design teams, and management. Helps to develop overall quality manufacturing processes to ensure an overall quality product launch.
• Bachelor of Science degree in engineering, business or related field with 6-8 years of relevant experience including 1-3 years of supervisory/leadership experience or equivalent.
• Six years experience in medium to high volume production or R&D related environment with quality emphasis.
• Understanding of ASQ CQM body of knowledge (CQM certification meets requirements). ASQ certification, CQE and/or CMQ/OE preferred.
• Quality leadership / quality management knowledge.
• Strong quality planning, controlling, and process control methodologies knowledge.
• Knowledge and understanding of statistical techniques for quality control, data analysis and decision making.
• Knowledge and experience of quality tools like control plans, SPC, FMEA, DOE, QFD, 6-sigma.
• Knowledge of COQ (cost of quality) and how it relates to problem solving.
• Understanding of quality management systems like ISO9000 (ISO/QS requirements).
• Strong team building /facilitation skills.
• Strong problem-solving skills and experience with a formal problem-solving methodology (KT-PSDM, 8D, or equivalent).
• Strong organization and planning skills with the ability to develop, implement, maintain, and improve a product problem corrective action process.
• Strong inter-personal, communication and presentation skills.
• PC application skills (MS Office, etc.)
• Ability to travel up to 25%, occasionally with little notice & internationally.
• Six Sigma Green/Black Belt certification or experience.
• Experience with a formal project management methodology.
• Experience in an engineering or Research & Development environment.
• Experience working with senior level staff.
• Knowledge of test lab procedures & documentation.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Operates in both an office environment and a manufacturing environment including indoor environmental conditions and noise. Continuously required to stand, hear, listen, talk, walk, bend, stoop, kneel, or squat. Occasionally required to sit, use repetitive hand motion, pull, push, and lift up to 20 pounds.
Lead the Team
Impact and Influence
Coach and Develop
At La-Z-Boy, we are committed to fostering an environment in which all employees feel valued, included, and empowered to do their best work and bring great ideas to the table. We understand that our employees’ diverse backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and viewpoints add value to our ability to create and deliver the best possible service, quality products, and is of upmost importance as we work together to Build Something Amazing.
OTHER DUTIES: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the incumbent for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled:
La-Z-Boy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. It is our practice to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. All employment decisions and related entities will be made on merit, qualifications, and abilities. It is our policy and commitment to ensure equal opportunity is provided in all employment opportunities and practices, regardless of race, color, religion, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. La-Z-Boy is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you have a disability and you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please e-mail [email protected] or call (734) 242-1444. Only messages left for this purpose will be returned. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under law, please CLICK HERE.