Business Development Manager - Government Matters
King & Spalding, a leading global law firm, seeks a Business Development (BD) Manager for our Government Matters (GOV) Practice Group. The Manager will work closely with the GOV BD Team and other members of the firm’s Marketing Department. He/She/They will support a wide variety of projects, pitches, submissions, and event for the GOV team. In addition, the Manager will work alongside the BD Associate Director of GOV to be a BD point of contact for aspects of our Special Matters and Government Investigations team (Special Matters). Special Matters has a deep bench of more than 125 attorneys globally – many of whom are former federal prosecutors and high-ranking government officials – who handle high-profile white-collar defense and government investigations for some of the most prominent organizations and senior executives around the world.
The ideal candidate is a strong project manager, attentive to detail, collaborative, self-starting, driven, forward thinking, and energetic. He/She/They will bring at least seven years’ experience in a comparable role at a law firm. We are also open to considering candidates with relevant professional services BD backgrounds.
The firm offers a generous total compensation package with bonuses and raises awarded in recognition of individual merit-based performance. Eligible employees may participate in King & Spalding’s comprehensive benefit program, including health and wellness plan, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts and a health savings account, a 401(k) plan, profit sharing plan, discount programs, and a substantial Paid Time Off (PTO) program.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Candidates will have the following responsibilities:
- Work with Associate Director of BD on initiatives and projects for the Special Matters and Government Investigations Group and Government Matters Practice.
- Support strategic cross-selling and cross-marketing opportunities across the Special Matters & Government Investigations Group and the firm’s Government Matters teams, CFI, and TRIAL practice groups.
- Drive initiatives and workstreams across the group to generate new business opportunities.
- Conduct strategic research on potential clients, competitors and practice developments more broadly to identify business trends and opportunities and ensure that K&S is optimally positioned to grow market share.
- Lead cross-practice RFPs and pitches, including coordination with other business developers and drafting original content.
- Oversee content development for dynamic presentations in connection with pitches, events, and meetings.
- Identify, develop and work with coordinators to maintain key messages and proof points for the GOV practice group and integrate across materials and website.
- Coordinate team partner meetings and facilitate internal communications and knowledge sharing.
- Work with the Associate Director of BD and marketing partner to manage budget requests and streamline and coordinate the annual decision-making process for each team’s marketing budget: vet big-ticket requests and analyze marketing expenses and effectiveness thereof.
- Organize firm-hosted business development events, including receptions, client entertainment outings, substantive presentations, webcasts, etc., working closely with participating lawyers and Marketing Dept. colleagues on invitation list development, event materials, participant tracking, on-site management and targeted follow-up activities.
- Utilize CRM, Experience Management Systems and other firm technology to meet job requirements with an expectation to become an expert in these systems over time.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALITIES:
Key Attributes Include:
- Flexible, forward thinking, proactive, energetic and detail-oriented team player
- Professional, yet approachable, demeanor, with comfort and competence both in dealing with senior lawyers and working collaboratively with other lawyers and business services throughout the firm
- Excellent project management skills, with keen attention to detail and an ability to prioritize and execute multiple ongoing tasks often under tight deadlines
- An ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
- “Team player” mentality with great collegiality and who responds well to an evolving environment and is willing to be flexible and lend support where needed
- Superior presentation, writing, and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional Microsoft Office skills, including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel
- Some proficiency in CRM systems – prior experience with Microsoft Dynamics is an asset
- Candidates are required to have a bachelor’s degree. Candidates should also have a strong interest and track record in regulatory, enforcement and investigations
- We are proud of our remarkably cohesive culture, which now encompasses more than 2000 lawyers and business professionals in 23 offices worldwide. We seek to attract and develop the very best talent to work with us.
King & Spalding LLP (K&S) is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees in full compliance with all state, federal, and local laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, age, disability or any other status protected by applicable law.
New York: full-time annualized salary range $120,810 - $181,210. The salary offer will be contingent upon various factors, including but not limited to, relevant experience, internal equity, market data, job location, and other job-related factors permitted by law.