Business Development Manager - Private Equity
King & Spalding, a leading global law firm, seeks a Business Development (BD) Manager for our Private Equity Team which sits within our Corporate, Finance and Investments (CFI) Practice Group. The candidate will work closely with Private Equity Leadership and partners to drive growth for this key practice, spot opportunities, build critical infrastructure, support events and other branding initiatives, and respond to pitches and proposals. This person will also work closely with colleagues across the firm’s Marketing Department.
The ideal candidate is forward thinking, energetic and detail oriented, brings substantive knowledge about private equity and has at least seven years’ experience in a comparable role at a law firm or similar professional services environment. We are looking for a self-starter who is energized by an entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment, thinks beyond the day-to-day, works collegially and collaboratively with colleagues, and is hands on in approach.
The firm offers a generous total compensation package with bonuses and raises awarded in recognition of individual merit-based performance. Eligible employees may participate in King & Spalding’s comprehensive benefit program, including health and wellness plan, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts and a health savings account, a 401(k) plan, profit sharing plan, discount programs, and a substantial Paid Time Off (PTO) program.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Candidates will have the following responsibilities:
- Lead and draft content for cross-practice RFPs and pitches, including coordination with other business developers.
- Identify and facilitate cross-selling opportunities for the private equity practice across the firm, including crafting and executing a range of go-to-market strategies around these opportunities and collaborating with Business Development Managers for other K&S practice areas and industry initiatives on these opportunities
- Organize and drive client targeting program for supported areas, including prompting and monitoring pursuit activities, and tracking and reporting on results.
- Conduct strategic research on potential clients, competitors, and practice developments more broadly to identify business trends and opportunities and ensure that K&S is optimally positioned to grow market share.
- Build effective agendas for team meetings, prepare materials and speakers, and project manage actions coming from meetings.
- Create and maintain materials to support pitches and proposals.
- Coordinate firm-hosted business development events, including receptions, client entertainment outings, substantive presentations, webinars, etc., working closely with participating lawyers and Marketing Dept. colleagues on invitation list development, event materials, participant tracking, engagement, on-site management, and targeted follow-up activities.
- Identify and facilitate K&S participation in sponsorships, conferences, memberships and other key profile-building opportunities for the practice, office and individual lawyers in each.
- Manage legal directory and league ranking submissions, and assist the PR team in the generation of matters and other information for awards submissions
- Lateral onboarding: guide lateral hires through the protocols of bringing in clients and integrating themselves into firm priorities
- Create and maintain other relevant marketing collateral.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALITIES:
Key Attributes Include:
- Flexible, forward thinking, proactive, energetic and detail-oriented team player
- Professional, yet approachable, demeanor, with comfort and competence both in dealing with senior lawyers and working collaboratively with other lawyers and business services throughout the firm
- Excellent project management skills, with keen attention to detail and an ability to prioritize and execute multiple ongoing tasks often under tight deadlines
- An ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
- An effective change management approach
- “Team player” mentality with great collegiality and who responds well to an evolving environment and is willing to be flexible and lend support where needed
- Superior presentation, writing, and verbal communication skills
- Candidates should have well-developed Microsoft Office skills, including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, and be proficient in contact relationship management databases, such as Microsoft Dynamics. Candidates are required to have a bachelor’s degree. Candidates should also have a strong background in corporate practice areas (private equity, M&A, investment banking, capital markets) and at least seven years’ experience.
We are proud of our remarkably cohesive culture, which now encompasses more than 2000 lawyers and business professionals in 23 offices worldwide. We seek to attract and develop the very best talent to work with us.
King & Spalding LLP (K&S) is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees in full compliance with all state, federal, and local laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, age, disability or any other status protected by applicable law.
New York: full-time annualized salary range $120, 810 - $181,210. The salary offer will be contingent upon various factors, including but not limited to, relevant experience, internal equity, market data, job location, and other job-related factors permitted by law.