Business Development Manager
King & Spalding seeks a driven and experienced marketing business development professional to help drive branding and business development initiatives and projects for the Chicago office and lend broader business development support on department projects.
The Manager will have the opportunity to work closely with the Managing Partner of the Chicago office and the Chicago partners to help chart and drive respective business development and marketing strategies. In addition, he or she will work regularly with members of the Business Development Leadership team on ad hoc business development projects, as well as longer-term department initiatives (such as roll-outs of new technology).
The firm offers a generous total compensation package with bonuses and raises awarded in recognition of individual merit-based performance. Eligible employees may participate in King & Spalding’s comprehensive benefit program including health and wellness plans, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts and a health savings account, a 401(k) plan, profit sharing, discount programs, backup childcare support, and a substantial paid time off (PTO) program.
Candidates will have the following responsibilities:
- Serve as the central project manager for all Chicago lawyer-initiated BD requests including, but not limited to: pitches, proposals, award submissions, events, sponsorships, conferences, research & analysis, directory submissions, cross-sell initiatives, and more.
- Work with Associate Director of Business Development and the Managing Partner of the Chicago office to help craft and execute respective business development and marketing strategies.
- Identify cross-selling and cross-marketing opportunities for lawyers in the Chicago market with each other and others across the firm.
- Organize and support key profile-building events and initiatives for the Chicago office, working closely with participating lawyers and Marketing Department colleagues on invitation list development, event materials, participant tracking, on-site management and targeted follow-up activities.
- Continuously develop and maintain relevant office and supported specialty team website content, brochures, lawyer biographies, pitch materials, etc. so that they are consistent and up to date with firm and specialty area branding efforts.
- Facilitate client research requests and track and assess potential clients, competitors and enforcement developments broadly to identify business trends and opportunities and ensure that K&S is optimally positioned to grow market share.
- Draft marketing materials and play a coordinating role in connection with numerous pitches, RFPs and other new business opportunities.
- Serve as lead (or co-lead) BD contact for new Chicago partners integration into the broader firm.
- Maintain up-to-date repository of relevant client matters and client references, work with legal directory and league ranking submissions team on Chambers and numerous other rankings.
- Compile periodic reports on business development activity (such as pitches, proposals and events).
- Coordinate the marketing budget for the Chicago office: vet big-ticket requests and analyze marketing expenses and ROI.
- Serve as the primary contact for the Chicago office for requests from the Marketing Department’s Communications, Branding, and Events divisions and other areas of the firm.
- Support ad hoc business development projects as capacity allows including pitches, proposals, events, directories, awards, cross-sell initiatives, new technology roll-outs, etc.
Candidates must possess the ability to take direction from multiple stakeholders and demonstrate excellent project management skills, communication skills, as well as a highly intelligent, curious, proactive, collaborative, and business-minded approach to all responsibilities. Candidates must be professional and able to demonstrate discretion regarding highly sensitive matters. Candidates must be proficient in the use of a variety of applications such as, but not limited to, PowerPoint, Word, Excel, and Interaction (or other CRM database). Candidates must also have the ability to travel to the Washington, DC office and other offices on occasion.
Qualified candidates must have at least seven years of experience in a business development or marketing role within a law firm or professional services environment. An undergraduate degree is required.
We are proud of our remarkably cohesive culture, which now encompasses more than 2000 lawyers and business services professionals in 21 offices worldwide. We seek to attract and develop the very best talent to work with us.
King & Spalding LLP (K&S) is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees in full compliance with all state, federal, and local laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, age, disability or any other status protected by applicable law.