Associate Director of Human Resources
King & Spalding, a leading global law firm, is currently seeking a Associate Director of Human Resources ("AD") to join the Washington, DC office. The Associate Director of Human Resources is responsible for the implementation and administration of the firm’s human resource policies, procedures, and practices in the Washington, DC, Northern Virginia, and Charlotte, NC offices. Further, the AD supports the Deputy Managing Partner (Washington, DC) and the Managing Partner (Northern Virginia) with the day-to-day operations of the offices in their absence. The AD is expected to lead by example and promote a positive work environment that encourages teamwork and personal development and to administer various human resources plans and procedures for all office personnel.
The firm offers a generous total compensation package with bonuses and raises awarded in recognition of individual merit-based performance. Eligible employees may participate in King & Spalding’s comprehensive benefit program including health and wellness plans, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts and a health savings account, a 401(k) plan, a profit-sharing plan, discount programs, and a substantial Paid Time Off (PTO) program.
Essential job functions of the Associate Director of Human Resources:
- Leads, coaches and develops the Human Resources team, who support the Washington, DC, Northern Virginia, and Charlotte offices’ personnel.
- Manages the Business Services team performance reviews and compensation cycles with input from the Director of HR and the CHRO.
- Manages the recruiting process for Business Services (non-lawyer personnel), working with recruiting team as well as agencies in the full life cycle of recruitment efforts.
- Manages contracts with vendors, including the fee structure for temporary and permanent placements, and actively liaises with employment agencies.
- Oversees the background and reference check processes for applicants being considered for employment.
- Manages the onboarding and off-boarding processes for lateral partners, attorneys and Business Services staff.
- Ensures consistency with employment policies and legal compliance including ADA, FMLA, wage and hour, visa and immigration laws.
- Provides guidance on the legal aspects of hiring, including INS regulations, reference checking, screening of resumes, and preliminary interviews.
- Communicates benefits programs to employees, including open enrollment programs. Liaises with the Employee Benefits Department on specific questions or concerns.
- Manages reporting and resolution of Workers Compensation claims with assistance from HR Manager. Reports claims, files claim information as required, follows up on claims, and researches problems. Manages claims with assistance of worker's compensation carrier, case managers and the Employee Benefits Department.
- Reviews and participates in salary surveys on a regular basis to ensure the firm maintains competitive pay practices. Analyzes survey results to recommend market adjustments if needed.
- Keeps the HR Director and CHRO informed of significant ongoing employee relations matters. Investigates employee complaints and develops recommendations to resolve matters.
- Administers and manages FMLA, DCFMA, and STD policies for respective offices with assistance from the HR Manager.
- Oversees the coordination and planning of office social events and staff appreciation events.
- In the Deputy Managing Partner’s (WDC) and Managing Partner’s (NVA) absence, provides guidance to the office administrative functional areas (including mentoring, coaching, and development) to foster a service-oriented culture.
- Works with the Deputy Managing Partner (WDC) and Managing Partner (NVA) and office managers to achieve a balance between supporting the lawyers’ needs and providing consistent practices.
- Supports the Deputy Managing Partner (WDC) and the Managing Partner (NVA) in the preparation of the annual office budgets, manages HR expenses to budget, and provides routine reporting and recommendations. Approves local invoices for payment and petty cash disbursements in their absence.
- Special projects as needed.
Successful candidates must possess strong oral and written communication skills; demonstrated leadership skills in areas such as organizing, problem-solving, planning and decision-making; deep experience in all disciplines of human resource management with familiarity with finance, facilities, etc. Must have knowledge of all pertinent employment laws and a thorough knowledge of federal, state and city regulations. Ability to establish effective working relationships with firm personnel at all levels. Must possess the ability to counsel with employees, demonstrating confidentiality and resourcefulness.
BA or BS degree in either Human Resources Management or Business Management; advanced degree preferred. Experience in Human Resources management for a minimum of ten (10) years required. Experience with Immigration visa processing highly preferred.
We are proud of our remarkably cohesive culture, which now encompasses more than 2000 lawyers and business professionals in 22 offices worldwide. We seek to attract and develop the very best talent to work with us.
King & Spalding LLP (K&S) is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees in full compliance with all state, federal, and local laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, age, disability or any other status protected by applicable law.