Business Development Supervisor - California
King & Spalding, a leading global law firm, seeks an entrepreneurial and experienced professional in the Los Angeles area to serve as the primary business development and marketing support person for our growing California offices including Los Angeles, San Francisco, Silicon Valley and Sacramento. The Business Development Supervisor will work closely with our BD Manager based in Los Angeles, and will collaborate regularly with our partners, operations team, and colleagues across the firm’s Marketing Department to help chart business development strategy and drive a range of new business and marketing initiatives.
The candidate will support, in conjunction with their practice group and industry group BD colleagues, the 130 lawyers across our offices in California on marketing and BD initiatives. These initiatives span practices and industries and include events BD support, identifying and facilitating sponsorships, drafting and maintaining marketing materials and presentations, leading California lawyer-led pitch and proposal drafts and leading California award submissions. Where there is capacity, this role will also support other parts of the department on an ad hoc basis with BD related items.
The ideal candidate is a professional, self-starting, and efficient yet detail-oriented project manager, who is forward thinking and energetic. The candidate will bring at least four years’ experience in a comparable role at a large law firm.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The Marketing and BD Supervisor will have the following responsibilities:
- Identify and facilitate cross-selling opportunities for the California offices across the firm, including crafting and executing a range of go-to-market strategies around these opportunities.
- Draft materials and play a coordinating role in connection with pitches, RFPs and other new business opportunities involving California attorneys.
- Coordinate firm-hosted business development events, including webinars, receptions, client entertainment outings, presentations, etc., working closely with participating lawyers and Marketing Department colleagues on invitation list development, event materials, participant tracking, on-site management and targeted follow-up activities.
- Maintain a deep understanding of firmwide Lawyers, Practices, Specialty Teams and Industry Groups (notably their goals and key clients) and the intersection with the California offices specifically, applying an understanding of plans to support cross-selling initiatives, events, award and directory submissions and drafting other compelling content.
- Organize and drive client targeting exercises for California offices, including prompting and monitoring pursuit activities, and tracking and reporting on results.
- Supporting Media & Entertainment BD efforts, which are primarily California lawyer driven.
- Manage legal directory and league ranking submissions relevant to California and assist the PR team in the generation of matter summaries and other information for awards submissions.
- Assist in implementation and socialization of practice- and industry-based firm initiatives relevant to the firm’s California practices and California-based clients.
- Provide timely support and coordinate all activities involved with relevant sponsorships such as processing payments, fulfilling sponsorship benefits including ads and logos, and promoting K&S lawyer participation.
- Create, compile and maintain materials for the California office and related opportunities to brand standards in various formats (including PPT and Word) for meetings, presentations, pitches, and RFPs.
- Build effective agendas for team partners meetings and facilitate internal communications and knowledge sharing among team members and across the firm.
- Assist with analysis of ROI on California related budget requests and expenses.
- Conduct strategic research on potential clients, competitors and practice developments more broadly to identify business trends and opportunities and ensure that K&S is optimally positioned to grow market share.
- Compile periodic reports on business development activity and results within California.
- Familiarize and become a power user and champion of BD technology, including Experience Management System (Foundation) and CRM system (Microsoft Dynamics).
- Support ad hoc BD and firm initiatives as required
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALITIES:
The successful candidate is creative, resourceful, detail-oriented, and has the capacity to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, high-volume environment. Candidates should have a highly intelligent and business-minded approach to all responsibilities and initiatives. Candidates must have a professional, yet approachable, demeanor—displaying comfort and confidence with lawyers and staff throughout the firm. Candidates must have excellent project management skills with an ability to prioritize and execute multiple ongoing tasks under tight deadlines. Candidates must have well-developed Microsoft Office skills, including PowerPoint, Word, and Excel, as well as website CRM platforms. Candidates are required to have a Bachelor’s degree and at least 4 years of experience in a comparable role at a law firm.
We are proud of our remarkably cohesive culture, which now encompasses more than 2000 lawyers and business professionals in 23 offices worldwide. We seek to attract and develop the very best talent to work with us.
King & Spalding LLP (K&S) is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees in full compliance with all state, federal, and local laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, age, disability or any other status protected by applicable law.
California applicants: Full-time annualized salary range $93,648-$140,471. The salary offer will be contingent upon various factors, including but not limited to, relevant experience, internal equity, market data, job location, and other job-related factors permitted by law. Eligible employees may participate in King & Spalding’s comprehensive benefit program including health and wellness plan, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts and a health savings account, a 401(k) plan, discount programs, sick leave, vacation and parental leave.