Legal Practice Assistant
King & Spalding, a leading global law firm, is currently seeking a Legal Practice Assistant to join the New York office. This role offers the opportunity for motivated individuals to join an innovative and collaborate environment focused on supporting best practices and developing solutions to improve processes and procedures.The firm offers a generous total compensation package with bonuses and raises awarded in recognition of individual merit-based performance. Eligible employees may participate in King & Spalding’s comprehensive benefit program including health and wellness plan, life and disability insurance, flexible spending accounts and a health savings account, a 401(k) plan, profit sharing plan, discount programs, and a substantial Paid Time Off (PTO) program.
Candidates will have the following responsibilities:
- Interface and establish ongoing positive business relationships with clients in person, by phone and/or email. Observe confidentiality of lawyer-client relationship.
- Manage and maintain lawyers’ busy schedules and calendars.
- Schedule and organize onsite and offsite meetings, conference, speaking engagements, client proposals and events. Working with Marketing and/or other office personnel, coordinate food and beverage services, reserve rooms and prepare materials.
- Maintain lawyers’ contacts in Outlook and InterAction with accurate contact information and notes.
- Answer and screen calls, field inquiries, relay messages, respond promptly to client needs; responds to email and voicemail as soon as possible (and no later than the following business day).
- Create, format, edit, proofread and manage Word documents, Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations. Print and/or transmit via email as requested.
- Assist lawyers with Marketing and Business Development functions to including preparing materials for use in meetings, pitches and proposals.
- Undertake internet research for lawyers’ business development as directed by lawyer(s)
- Process and close time for lawyers adhering to weekly and monthly deadlines. Coordinate correction of time entry errors, when needed. If requested, track lawyers’ billable hours, create reports and maintain records.
- Open new clients and matters following Records Department procedures. Prepare conflict of interest forms.
- Maintain client, administrative and personal filing (personal taxes; civic/charitable) for lawyers following established procedures. Prepare files using Legal Key procedures and maintain appropriate records for on and off site storage.
- Coordinate domestic and foreign travel including hotel, flights, car rentals; prepare travel itineraries and materials for meetings during travel, important numbers, locations and contact names for events/meetings.
- Track, organize and process Chrome River reports, reimbursements and check requests.
- Maintain CLE records for lawyers.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
Successful candidates are detail oriented, efficient and have the capacity to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast paced, high volume environment. Candidates should have well-developed Microsoft Office skills, including intermediate Excel proficiency, and have the ability to format documents using Styles and proofread typed material for grammatical, typographical and spelling errors. Candidates must demonstrate the ability to problem solve and communicate with all levels of personnel, and work effectively as a team player. A college degree and a minimum typing speed of 65 words per minute preferred. Availability to work overtime is required.We are proud of our remarkably cohesive culture, which now encompasses more than 2000 lawyers and business professionals in 22 offices worldwide. We seek to attract and develop the very best talent to work with us.
King & Spalding LLP (K&S) is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees in full compliance with all state, federal, and local laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, age, disability or any other status protected by applicable law.