Social Studies Teacher
Social Studies Teacher
About KIPP Public Schools Northern California
We are a thriving nonprofit network of 16 free, public charter schools open to all students. At KIPP, we believe all children should grow up free to create the future they want for themselves and that schools can and should be a critical factor in making that vision a reality. Together with families and communities, we create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose—college, career, and beyond—so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Our student community consists of over 6,000 elementary, middle, and high school students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, Redwood City, and Stockton. 79% qualify for free or reduced price lunch, 23% are English language learners, and 10% have special needs. We strive to cultivate a representative team of teachers and leaders that reflect our students’ diversity.
● Our schools are looking for talented and committed Social Studies Teachers to play a key role in the establishment of curriculum and culture as they develop a world-class education program from the stages of vision to execution.
● The outcomes our students deserve necessitate continuously strong teaching from the time our students enter kindergarten until they graduate from college. As such, our Social Studies Teachers will work closely with each school’s leadership team to ensure our students learn, grow, and eventually achieve transformative life outcomes. Each Social Studies Teacher will be responsible for ensuring that our students have the opportunity to learn in an environment of joyful, excellent teaching.
● Above all else, the most effective Social Studies Teacher will find joy and purpose in teaching children the habits necessary to be successful in school, and s/he will relish the opportunity to imbue our students with a love for learning. S/he must also be committed to KIPP Public Schools Northern California’s mission, while possessing the beliefs, character traits, and skills necessary to ensure student growth and achievement.
● Social Studies Teachers are expected to plan, organize and implement an appropriate instructional program in a TK-12 learning environment, both in an in-person classroom setting and virtually, that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic and socio-emotional potential. Work is performed under the supervision of the principal.
All KIPP Teachers must...
● Model KIPP values
● Be committed to working with educationally underserved students
● Believe all students can achieve at the highest academic levels
● Possess strong content area knowledge and classroom management skills
● Teach in our extended day and year schedule (click here to learn more about a day in the life of a KIPP student)
● Contribute to a relentless and dedicated team of outstanding professionals
● Communicate well with students, families, and colleagues
● Have proficient knowledge of Google Suite applications (Google Classroom, Hangout, Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc.)
● Have the ability to learn and utilize instructional technology to support in-class and distance learning (i.e. Zoom, Nearpod)
● Hold a B.A/B.S degree from a regionally accredited institution
● Hold a valid teaching credential or be in the process of securing one (please click here to learn more)
● Experience as an educator in a traditionally underserved community for one or more years with demonstrated strong achievement results and documented growth on formative assessments
● Spanish, Arabic, Vietnamese or Mandarin speaking proficiency
We are dedicated to you and your family's well-being! KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits. Although KIPP does not post salary scales, we are happy to walk candidates through the compensation package.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Keywords: high school, middle school, elementary school, jobs, hiring, oakland, east bay, california, bay area, san francisco, san jose, peninsula, east palo alto, redwood city, teacher, social studies, history, world history, american history, us history, government, econ, economics, ethnic studies, ed jobs, teaching careers
KIPP Bay Area Schools does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin or ancestry, cultural background, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital/registered domestic partner status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, primary language, citizenship or immigration status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
The mission of KIPP Bay Area Schools is to operate high-achieving public schools in educationally underserved communities, developing in our students the knowledge, skills, and character essential to thrive in college, shape their futures, and positively impact the world.