Associate Director of Finance
About KIPP Bay Area Public Schools
KIPP is a non-profit network of 224 college-preparatory, public charter schools across the country educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice-filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, and for us all.
There are currently 15 KIPP schools across the Bay Area educating nearly 6,200 students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, and Redwood City and supporting over 3,000 alumni around the country.
As a key member of the four-person finance team reporting to the Director of Finance, the Associate Director of Finance serves as a financial adviser and is responsible for setting and executing on a sustainable, strategic annual and long-term organizational budget. As a function, the finance team reports directly into the CEO and serves as a strategic internal consultancy on major decisions.
The objective of the finance team is to maximize student outcomes over the long-term through the efficient, effective, and sustainable allocation of financial resources. This is accomplished through an effective balance of hard and soft skills as our work is rooted in empowering organizational leaders, who bring academic expertise and proximity to students, with high quality financial information and advising to make effective decisions.
This position can have up to two direct reports: Financial Systems Manager/Analyst and Strategic Finance Manager/Analyst.
Serve as key finance team leader
- Shape the multi-year vision and annual initiatives for the finance team.
- Manage and grow up to two direct reports. Aggressively coach and develop direct reports through ongoing performance management. Delegate stretch assignments aligning with teammates interest (where feasible), and build bench depth for internal succession.
- Own bi-weekly team work-planning meetings, continuously re-prioritizing work to track team towards quarterly department goals.
- Model and reinforce the team’s culture of continuous learning and shared voice through leadership of team meetings.
- Identify and recommend opportunities to streamline processes and/or improve results.
Serve as financial advisor
- Advise and thought partner with school leaders (principals) and operations managers on fiscal operating decisions and multi-year planning, and collaborate with them to achieve financial sustainability goals.
- Empower school and regional office leaders with tools, information and analyses to help them make thoughtful and impactful decisions
- Serve as the hands-on thought partner and finance lead to the Special Education team on their $10M annual budget, spending decisions, communications, and multi-year expense projections.
Serve as the lead of our annual Planning and Budgeting processes
- Lead the development of a sustainable $100M+ budget for the 2020-21 year and forward by developing prudent, and realistic forecasts.
- Prepares and presents our annual draft and final Organization Plan and Budget to KIPP Bay Area Public Schools’ Finance Council.
- Own annual renewal of faculty and staff compensation strategy, scales and ranges, and policies. Support finance team in annual benchmarking and calculation of returning salaries.
- Partner with Regional Operations to execute on effective enrollment target setting and enrollment contingency planning.
- Special projects as determined.
Skills and Qualifications
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP Bay Area Public Schools’ mission: firm belief that all children will learn and deserve access to an excellent public education
- Approaches work with joy and curiosity
- Actively seeks personal and professional growth
- Strong functional experience in Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A)
- Expert at (and enjoys) building models and structuring analyses
- Expert at analyzing, interpreting, and visualizing data
- Strategic and analytical mindset, breaking down complex information and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders.
- Builds buy-in and exercises influence with a broad range of stakeholders through clear communication and articulation of underlying rationale
- Models expert strategic financial advising and navigating challenging conversations
- Demonstrated leader and culture builder, coordinating and maximizing the contributions of others
- Learns rapidly across breadth of topics
- Skilled at managing up, across, and down to ensure finance team achieves quarterly goals
We are dedicated to you and your family's well-being! KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume by clicking apply on this page.Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
KIPP Bay Area Schools does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin or ancestry, cultural background, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital/registered domestic partner status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, primary language, citizenship or immigration status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
The mission of KIPP Bay Area Schools is to operate high-achieving public schools in educationally underserved communities, developing in our students the knowledge, skills, and character essential to thrive in college, shape their futures, and positively impact the world.