School Operations Leader, East Palo Alto
About KIPP Bay Area Public Schools
KIPP is a non-profit network of 224 college-preparatory, public charter schools across the country educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice-filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, and for us all.
There are currently 15 KIPP schools across the Bay Area educating nearly 6,000 students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, and Redwood City and supporting over 3,000 alumni around the country
The Operations Manager oversees the business and support functions required to run an efficient, thriving school. S/he will lead the implementation and maintenance of clear operational systems that allow the instructional team to focus on teaching and learning. This individual will also serve as the key liaison to the operations, technology, finance, accounting, human resources, data, and communications departments at the Regional Support Office (RSO), which supports all KIPP schools in the Bay Area. The Operations Manager must be an individual who embraces innovation and continuous improvement, is willing to get his/her hands dirty and relishes the challenge of finding ways to work smarter.
This position reports to the School Leader and is accountable to the RSO operations team. S/he will also be part of the regional operations community of practice. The Operations Manager will also supervise an operations associate (OA) and manages a number of contractors, including food service and janitorial staff.
Roles and Responsibilities
Provide school operations leadership and supervise and support school operations team
- Ensure operations associate successfully manages the school’s main office and serves as the face of the school by answering questions from parents, students, and visitors
- Support Operations Associate with the maintenance of student records (both paper and electronic)
- Provide front office staff with guidance on implementing and managing communication systems with families (e.g. newsletters, mailings, flyers)
- Support the ongoing growth and development of the Operations Associate through regular training, coaching, and supervision
- Participate as a member of the school’s leadership team and assist school leader in building a safe, joyful learning environment
- Support student attendance goals and reduce truancy and chronic absenteeism by ensuring staff and families follow attendance procedures, managing attendance accounting, and reporting, and supporting the school’s process for addressing truancy
- Manage school foodservice, including ordering meals and managing inventory, collecting lunch applications and fees and managing our third-party food service provider
- Support school safety by managing insurance claims, creating an emergency plan and overseeing regular emergency drills
- Work with Reginal Support Office and external vendors to ensure school’s technology needs are met by coordinating technology procurement and technical support
- Ensure successful procurement and inventory of school supplies (e.g. textbooks, uniforms)
- Oversee facilities maintenance and janitorial services in partnership with facilities manager, landlord, and Regional Support Office
- Help plan and host on-campus and off-campus school events, including student field trips
- Support implementation of regional policies and procedures related to operations, technology, facilities, development, data management, marketing, and/or
- Support school leadership team and instructional staff with setting enrollment targets
- Manage student recruitment and enrollment process from start to finish, including marketing, canvassing, and community engagement; collecting applications and interest forms; sending acceptance letters; ensuring ongoing communication with families; managing the waitlist; and developing and implementing summer retention activities to ensure all enrolled students attend on the first day of school.
- Schedule and organize orientation sessions for new students
- Become expert in using PowerSchool and Illuminate
- Support preparation and logistics for MAP testing and state testing
- Create yearly school bell schedule, master calendar, and student report cards/transcripts
- Partner with the Reginal Support Office to complete federal, state and district reporting submissions, including reporting for the California Longitudinal Pupil Achievement Data System (CALPADS)
- Implement fiscal policies, controls, and procedures as directed by the Regional Support Office
- Assist the school leader in managing the school’s overall budget and reviewing financial reports
- Manage and submit employee timesheets and payroll checklist for timely processing and manage expense reporting and reimbursements
- With the HR team, support onboarding for all new instructional and non-instructional staff.
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP Bay Area Public Schools’ mission and values
- Experience working in a school or non-profit preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook required
- Ability to self-direct, prioritize and multi-task among competing goals
- Experience and comfort working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others and build relationships across teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with keen attention to detail
- Bachelor’s Degree and 3+ years of work experience OR 5+ years’ work experience required
We are dedicated to you and your family's well-being! KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits.To Apply
Please submit a letter of interest and resume online on this page. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
KIPP Bay Area Schools does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin or ancestry, cultural background, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital/registered domestic partner status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, primary language, citizenship or immigration status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
The mission of KIPP Bay Area Schools is to operate high-achieving public schools in educationally underserved communities, developing in our students the knowledge, skills, and character essential to thrive in college, shape their futures, and positively impact the world.