Managing Director of Schools
About KIPP Bay Area Public Schools
KIPP is a non-profit network of 224 college-preparatory, public charter schools across the country educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice-filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, and for us all.
There are currently 15 KIPP schools across the Bay Area educating nearly 6,000 students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, and Redwood City and supporting over 3,000 alumni around the country.
Position Overview and Overall Outcome
The Managing Director of Schools is charged with the essential role of working with our school leaders to achieve an outstanding learning (academic and social-emotional) experience for all students. They do this by balancing high quality support with accountability for results. As the regional point person for our schools, s/he is responsible for ensuring fluid communication between RSO departments and schools. The Managing Director of Schools serves on the Executive leadership team and reports to the Chief of Schools.
Drive high quality execution of our regional priorities in our schools through effective coaching and management of our School Leaders
1. Plan and execute coaching and management of School Leaders aligned with our regional priorities through
- regular observation & feedback of School Leader
- leadership team observations & feedback
- regular one-on-one meetings with School Leader
- classroom observations with School Leader and Leadership Team
- weekly, bi-weekly, monthly & quarterly progress monitoring with School Leader and Leadership Team
- monitoring learning initiatives for sub-groups [ELLs, achievement gaps]
- strong performance management
2. Support School Leaders through the planning and budgeting process
- ensure rigorous enrollment targets are set and met
- support with staffing decisions
- hold school leaders accountable to financial sustainability and fiscal responsibility
- leading with an equity lens
- data-driven instruction
- change management
- initial employee relations issues (e.g. absenteeism)
- parent concerns
- escalated student issues
- courageous conversations
4. Provide talent leadership to schools
- build robust leadership pipelines at schools that include an emergency and named successor leader and pathways from teacher to teacher leader to content specialist to assistant principal to School Leader
- ensure School Leaders are fully hired by May 30th with the highest quality staff available
- provide first line approval of organization structure for schools
- calibrate on performance of new hires and existing staff
- ensure adherence to regional hiring process
- provide support on improvement plans and monitor progress
5. Act as a liaison between schools and the Regional Support Office
Actively develop leadership1. Execute on our regional performance management systems with School Leader
2. Engage in regional talent reviews and talent sharing
3. Participate in leader endorsement and selection events
4. Provide substitute coverage for School Leaders as needed
Participate in KIPP Bay Area Schools professional community
1. Actively participate as a member of the Executive Team
2. Attend weekly 1:1s with the Chief of Schools
3. Attend weekly Lead Learning Team meetings
4. Attend and lead portions of the School Leader Community of Practice meetings
5. Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief of Schools
An outstanding Managing Director of Schools candidate will have:
* Multiple years of successful experience in coaching principals
* Success in leading a high performing school with similar demographics
* The ability to unpack the various aspects of one’s identity and implicit biases to recognize how these impact leadership actions
* Demonstrated success leading efforts to support English Language Learners
* Successful adult learning experience
* Management experience and success
* Qualities of a great team player (compassion, courage, equity, and excellence)
* A core belief that each child we serve deserves the opportunity to be college ready in order to shape their future
We are dedicated to you and your family's well-being! KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits.
How to Apply
Please create an application by clicking apply at the top of this page. Applications without resumes and cover letters will not be considered.
KIPP Bay Area Schools does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin or ancestry, cultural background, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital/registered domestic partner status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, primary language, citizenship or immigration status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
The mission of KIPP Bay Area Schools is to operate high-achieving public schools in educationally underserved communities, developing in our students the knowledge, skills, and character essential to thrive in college, shape their futures, and positively impact the world.