Operations Associate, San Jose
KIPP is a non-profit network of 224 college-preparatory, public charter schools across the country educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are united by a common mission, a commitment to excellence, and a belief that if we help children develop the academic and character strengths they need for college and choice-filled lives, they will be able to build a better tomorrow for themselves, for their communities, and for us all.
There are currently 15 KIPP schools across the Bay Area educating nearly 6,000 students in East Palo Alto, Oakland, San Francisco, San Lorenzo, San Jose, and Redwood City and supporting over 3,000 alumni around the country.
The Operations Associate will play a critical role in maintaining the systems that support excellent teaching and learning. S/he will manage the front office and serve as the first point of contact for any students, families, staff, or visitors in the office. They must also passionately believe in the value of a KIPP education and have the ability to enthusiastically share that vision and belief with others. This position is an excellent opportunity for a highly driven self-starter to support a high-performing school.
The Operations Associate reports to the Operations Manager. This full-time, non-exempt position.
Roles and Responsibilities
Manage front office and incoming visitors
- Own the creation of a welcoming, organized front office that reflects school values and culture
- Manage inventory of office supplies, student store items, textbooks, uniforms, and other materials
- Serve as the point person for first aid and student medication
- Assist with managing the school’s finances, including assisting with school fees, deposits, cash management, and purchasing
Manage student attendance and data
- Track daily student attendance accurately, including distributing tardy slips, checking records, and compiling attendance documentation
- Arrange morning calls home to students who are absent, and if needed, coordinate absent students’ homework drop-off and pick-up
- Support a culture of high attendance by tracking unexcused absences, managing truancy documentation, and scheduling truancy meetings
- Maintain complete and accurate student records in cumulative folders and in PowerSchool
- Support with compiling academic data for report cards, transcripts, and other documents
Support student enrollment
- Support student recruitment activities and school events (e.g. open houses, information sessions)
- Manage all incoming applications and enrollment paperwork for new and returning students
- Help prepare application data and communications for the enrollment lottery
- Own specific parts of the enrollment process, such as scheduling family meetings or managing all incoming new student enrollment paperwork
- Support relationships with the school district, community organizations, and other entities as it relates to student enrollment
Support communications systems
- Assist in the preparation of all parent communications, including letters and report cards and other documentation
- Assist in maintaining updates
- Manage communication systems with families by sending out mailings and using the SchoolMessenger system for school events
- Assist with scheduling parent meetings, parent-teacher conferences, SST meetings and other meetings as necessary
- Support with management of all school visitors
Support student food services
- Support the Operations Manager in managing breakfast, lunch, and snack daily.
Support school leadership with creating a joyful learning environment
- Support with furnishing and decorating the facilities to model school values and culture
- Support with implementing school safety plans and procedures
- Assist with on-campus and off-campus school events, including student field trips
- Assist with other tasks and projects as assigned
Skills and Qualifications
- High school diploma required, bachelors degree preferred
- Minimum 1 years of work experience, 2 or more years strongly preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- Ability to self-direct, prioritize and multi-task among competing goals
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others and build relationships across teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with keen attention to detail
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP Bay Area Public Schools’ mission and values
We are dedicated to you and your family's well-being! KIPP offers a competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and transportation benefits.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume by clicking apply at the top of this page. Please note, applications without cover letters will NOT be considered.
Email email@example.com with any questions.
KIPP Bay Area Schools does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin or ancestry, cultural background, religious creed, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital/registered domestic partner status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, primary language, citizenship or immigration status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
The mission of KIPP Bay Area Schools is to operate high-achieving public schools in educationally underserved communities, developing in our students the knowledge, skills, and character essential to thrive in college, shape their futures, and positively impact the world.